Ugh...drama...did my dad get scammed?

Go here to learn about what slot machines and trade stimulators are showing up as fakes and/or reproductions.

Ugh...drama...did my dad get scammed?

Postby sirmatt » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:04 am

Gentlemen,

I am an avid pinball collector and my dad got interested in slot machines recently. I tried to help him avoid any pitfalls, but now (based on a single-cherry payout), I am thinking that this Mills High Top he just "won" at an auction is a reproduction.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/9899955

He paid $500 for it, we do not have it yet (it is still sitting at an out-of-state auction house).

I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on this thing, as well as what to do if it is in fact a reproduction.

The site has other upcoming slot auctions that are clearly marked "Reproduction". That this one was not, I think, gave him confidence that it was "real" - although the evidence to my mind points to "no." I mean, I have a pinball from the 50's and the mechanisms inside this machine looks far more characteristic of that of a game from the 70's or even 80's.

Any ideas here guys?

Thanks,
Matt J.
sirmatt

Postby sirmatt » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:06 am

He decided to play it cool and ask the seller for the serial number. She said she could not see one. He is asking now to look inside this High Top for a sticker, or look specifically to the right or just above-right of the scorecard on the top of the unit.

Anyone get a look at these pics yet and can anyone offer any assistance?

Thank you,
Matt J.
sirmatt

Postby nvmos » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:14 pm

Looks like a nice machine, EXCEPT;
something is wrong with escalator (coins jammed up, not evenly spaced).
wrong handle?
home made cash box.
they're hideing something behind the red paint on jackpot glass.
There's a hole in award card (where lock should be)
no back door?
"works but gets jammed"???????? Translation; it's got problems.
I've only had a couple High Tops, so I'm no expert, but the fact that it sold for only $500 tells me that the guys who know what they're doing didn't think much of it.
nvmos

Return to Tips on Identifying Fradulant Machines