Bogus Trade Stimulators

Go here to learn about what slot machines and trade stimulators are showing up as fakes and/or reproductions.

Re: Bogus Trade Stimulators

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:56 pm

Gmari2 wrote:I sincerely hope that the following two machines are not products of the Las Vegas Butcher. Please let me know your collective opinions of the following two machines my lovely bride just couldn't live without.

Regards,
George

George:
Rest assured that you and your bride have made two good purchases, although a tad pricey for their condition. As far as the "Reel 21" is concerned, I don't think it went through the LV Butchers hands, even if it does look
like one of his childish paintjobs. I have not known him to do anything with these models in the past, but I could be wrong. At least it looks complete, and is hopefully working. If you want to strip the paint, and put the
correct color scheme on it, I can post pix of how it should look. Even though the Rockola "Official Sweepstakes" has been highly reproduced in the past few years, just from what I can see from the auctions ONE LOUSEY
PHOTO, it looks to be a decent original. The only things I can spot, is: 1) the finish post on the right, with the pennant, has been replaced, as it is a larger diameter than original. 2) The taller post on the left, looks to be
secured, and is too short. It is supposed to be taller with a tapered bottom, which has a very fine chain & spring under the platform, as it is the 'tilt post'. 3) The small card on the left front is homemade. Those cards only
came two ways. Red w/black print, and black w/silver or white print. I have the correct repro cards, (red version), for both the gum & non-gum models. 4) The horses appear to have been repainted, as they do not have
numbers on the sides, and are also out-of-sequence. I can also post a pix of a nice original.
I would like to get the serial numbers from both of these machines. The "Reel 21" will be stamped into the underside of the case. The "Sweepstakes" will be stamped on the left inside wood floor, just inside the door.
Regards, Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Gmari2 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:33 am

Thanks Bill,
I would appreciate any photos you have on both the reel 21 and official sweepstakes machines. Also let me know the particulars of the replacement card you have available. I have a number of machines which I need to get listed onto the data base.
As always, thank you for all of your efforts in keeping this hobby active and clean.
Regards,
George
Gmari2

Re: Bogus Trade Stimulators & More

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:16 am

I have been very busy, and I realize this post is a wee-bit late, but perhaps it will get to more than a few newbies, and prevent them from bidding on machines that are not original or correct.
This is the next round of Repro & Bogus machines, that are on the block of the VCA auction in Vegas, these next two days. (Jan. 18 & 19, 2014)

Item No.
147 - Pace "Whiz Ball" (Repro) They are saying, "looks to have been restored", but they know full-well what it is, as they have them in every auction.
148 - Pace "Base Ball" (Repro) (Same notes as above)
216 - Pace "Base Ball" (Repro) Listed as 'Contemporary', which is a hidden way of saying REPRO.
242 - Jennings 5c "Sun Chief" Light-up (Could possibly be made-up from a standard model, from the LV Butcher Shop)
243 - Mills 1c "Arrow Head" HighTop (Not sure on this one, but could also be a made-up model) Check it out.
245 - Mills 1c "Wizard Fortune Teller" (Looks to be one of the many Repro's) New wood, over-polished, incorrect colors.
320 - Pace 1c "Target Practice" (Original machine, but has been mixed) Incorrect marquee, and front casting for game.
354 - Watling 1c "Treasury" (Possible Repro) Check it out.
355 - Watling 1c "Treasury" (Same as above)
356 - Jennings 5c "Sun Chief" Light-up (Same notes as Lot #242 above)
363 - Rockola "Official Sweepstakes" (Definitely appears to be one of the many REPRO models)
364 - Mills 1c "Wizard Fortune Teller" (Same notes as Lot #245 above)
366 - Jennings "Sun Chief" Light-up Console (Same notes as Lot #242 above)
381 - Buckley "Ball Gum" (Was originally a "Cent-A-Pack", with the nameplate removed. Added repro Tavern strips & made-up Bar Boy card) This Phoney model NEVER EXISTED from the mfr.
471 - Pace 1c "Whiz Ball" (Repro) Listed as 'Contemporary', with a really bad recast marquee.
624 - Field 1c "Five Jacks" (Possible Repro) Looks Too New.
626 - Daval 5c "Free Play" (Original machine), but has a non-original Butt-Ugly blue & gold repaint.
642 - Caille 1c "Little Wonder" Lung Tester (Listed as original, and very well could be a nicely restored example, but be aware that there were a good number Reproduced several years ago)
669 - Pace "Ball Gum" (Original machine, but has a recast jackpot that NEVER came on this model)
696 - Groetchen "Tavern" (One of the many BOGUS examples from the LV Butcher Shop) More collectors have been Snookered with this model than any other.
738A - Berger 5c "Electric" (Original, but Mis-titled machine, with incorrect copper castings)
739 - Mills 5c "Upright Perfection" (Original machine, but has incorrect home-made marquee & window frames)
862 - Rockola "Official Sweepstakes" (Same notes as Lot #363 above)
863 - Withey "King Six Jr." (Original machine, but has incorrect award card, frame, and dice)
880 - One of the worst examples of a Mixed-Up, Home-Made Upright, that I have ever seen. Some poor sole better really want this POS, to fork out more than it's worth.

NOTE: Lot #350 - Fey 1c "Finger Striker" is going to get a lot of attention, although it is completely Mis-tited.
It is Not a Chas. Fey machine. It is an Ed Fey, and there are more than 2 known. This is the fifth by my records.

Good luck to all, that bring home something Good from this auction, and not a Phoneyola!
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby terick2104 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:53 am

That 'Arrowhead Bell' might be a Zeke Wolf machine. He started Auto Bell Co. in Chicago I think in the 50's.
terick2104

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:26 pm

terick2104 wrote:That 'Arrowhead Bell' might be a Zeke Wolf machine. He started Auto Bell Co. in Chicago I think in the 50's.

Yes, and Zeke Wolf was one of the first persons to start building Reproduction Slot Machines in great numbers, in the mid 1970's.
The famous Mills "Lion Head". Which has also been called the "Wolf Head" by some. Hmm! Wonder where that came from? #-o
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Dave » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:23 pm

Interesting that no fake Jennings Witch machines showed up. First time in many auctions that no fake Witch was there.

I see the listing for the 2nd Rock-Ola Sweepstakes states it is not original.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby cpdretired » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:54 am

Attachments
Vegas Chop Shop.JPG
cpdretired

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:47 am

cpdretired wrote:Vegas Chop Shop does it again.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1375800698

That's right, the "Vegas Butcher" is still creating his Fantasy Junk.
This complete idiot Bastardized, what once was a nice original "Pok-O-Reel" Triplex, of which there are
not that many around. The pix below, shows what it looked like, when he purchased it for $412.77, on
Aug.20,2013. It was missing the marquee casting, and the back door, only. Right after he got it, the cast
center plate on front, the excellent reel strips & award card, were listed on eBay, and sold. What type of
mentality does it take, to do something like this to a nice original machine? There can't be much, if any,
'furniture in the upstairs apartment'. #-o
There is absolutely nothing 'Factory Original' that has been done to this 'Fantasy Creation'. The recast J.P.
is off another model. The recast marquee, is from a different mfrs. larger model machine. The reproduction
Beer reel strips were only used in the Pace "Cardinal", and all the other 'Beer' lettering is phoney home-made.
To top it all off, is the incorrect childish paintjob. I really feel sorry for anyone that buys this 'piece-of-crap'.
Attachments
2013-08-20 $412.77 (a).jpg
Groetchen "Pok-O-Reel" Triplex
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby cpdretired » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:33 am

Bill I sent messages to C.O.C.A. about Fred Ablel. I posted links to the crap he has done. Talked to some of the directors at the show it is no use. At a show a few years ago he had three bogus taverns for sale. The higher ups in COCA can see the crap from their booth. I guess they don't give a damn.

If COCA President Doug Cain reads this forum please read the below info. about the club. This is a copy from their web page.

We are a non profit international collectors club. If you enjoy coin operated machines or have interest in them, you have come to the right place. This website is a source of information, news, history, identification, and resources for all types of coin operated machines. We hope that you will enjoy your visit and if you are not already a member that you will consider joining our club.

Membership allows access to the Members Only section of this website that includes contact information in the For Sale and Wanted classified ads, repair information & tips, photos to help identify machines, sources of supply to coin machine collectors, plus links to other useful coin operated machine web sites and to dealers that buy and sell coin operated machines. Again, welcome and thank you for visiting the C.O.C.A. website.

The purpose of the Coin Operated Collectors Association (C.O.C.A.) is to stimulate knowledge of, and interest in, the collection of vintage coin operated machines in order to:

Bring together and promote fellowship among members.
Educate members through meetings, publications and the internet.
Cooperate with those seeking information concerning these machines, their history, collection and preservation.
Promote fair, ethical practices, dealing and sales within the club and hobby.
cpdretired

Postby Dave » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:07 am

That is one reason why I formed www.CoinOpPreservationSociety.com

One of these days I need to get a logo made and to start encouraging people to use it on their ebay listings.
Dave
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Tips on Identifying Fradulant Machines