Bogus Trade Stimulators

Go here to learn about what slot machines and trade stimulators are showing up as fakes and/or reproductions.

Re: Bogus Trade Stimulators

Postby cpdretired » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:36 am

cpdretired

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:30 am

A follow-up from my July 7 entry above, is posted below.

To all serious collectors. Especially new people in the coin-op hobby: [-o<

The following is not a reply to the above, but is a new warning to all, that may be thinking of bidding on the upcoming VCA auction, on Oct. 12, 13, & 14. As always, more BOGUS Trade Stimulators are making an appearance on the block. First, is lot #301 – A Groetchen “Penny Smoke”, (that thank God, did not get the name ground out of the top casting to put another recast nameplate on). Instead, it has Phoney made-up reel strips, with cigar bands glued on them, and an equally-as-Phoney made-up award card. This paper Never existed on any original machines. Also, the front casting is not an original match to a Penny Smoke model. The paint colors are not even close to original, and look child-done. Second, is the following lot #302 – Which is another Groetchen model that has had the original name ground out of the top casting, to place the recast Tavern name, and then the repro strips & card to match. Again, the paint colors are nowhere near correct, and look atrocious. The Third, is lot #581 – and is the second-worst BASTARDIZATION job I have ever seen this clown do to one of these models. The first one I seen, sold on eBay, on July 8, 2012, and sold to some poor soul for $1,582.57 That would have been a decent price, if it had been left in it’s original state. You can read my previous notes on this example above, as eBay auction #221062287929. The one that is on the block now, is even a worse Phoney than the previous one, which had a marquee with a made-up “Play Ball” card in a frame from another mfrs. model. This one has a recast “Baseball” marquee, that never came on this machine. You can still see the holes where the original marquee was mounted, partcially hidden under the new, which had to have new holes made for the wider mount. The strips, card, and red label strip, are all made-up phoneys, that also never came on this machine. The Caille decals were never mounted on these case side panels. The Phoniest of all, are the two rediculous looking repro decals on the sides, which are only for the Gottlieb “Miniature Baseball” machines. The paint colors, are again, INCORRECT, and look terrible. He apparently read my comments about the previous machine having stupid-looking ‘swirl marbles’ in the view window, and put solid colors in this one. Yeah! That fixed it! As many calls that I get from people that have gotten Screwed with this Bogus Crap, this clown keeps right on pumping them out. As I have said before, the days are numbered, when he is going to Screw with the wrong person, that will surely ‘Clean His Clock’. =D>

The sad thing, is that this person has bought 4 perfectly good original Caille machines, that I know of, and has been selling all the original marquee’s, strips, and cards on eBay, before Bastardizing them with all his Phoney Crap. You seasoned collectors, know what this does to the hobby. There are several other machines that he has purchased on eBay, that are liable to show up as other Made-up Phonies. Two of them were Superior “Cigarette Ball Gum” models, and the original strips & cards were sold on eBay as well. So, watch out! This all boils down to one word – GREED. Because some collectors seem to be focused on machines with a Beer theme, and Sports theme, and do not check first, to see what is legit. Oh yeah, now we got Cigars too! :^o

There are also other repro’s in the VCA auction to be aware of, that are not stated as such: Lot #373 – Pace “Base Ball”. Lot #493 – Pace “Whiz Ball”. Possibly Lot #524 – Rockola “Official Sweepstakes” (It’s hard to tell from the auction picture, but many repro’s are out there). Both gumball & non-gumball models. Also, Lots #1086 & #1086A – Repro Mills ‘Owl’ side mint venders, with child-like paint jobs. The only item that I noticed, that listed as a Repro, is Lot #730 – “Smilin Sam” Peanut Vender. Another machine that is a restored original, and doesn’t look right, is Lot #588 – Rockola “Hold and Draw”. It appears to have been chrome plated, and painted a very incorrect Ivory color. Hopefully all these Bogus & Incorrect machines do not get hammered down at insane prices, like they have in the past. Those of you who plan to attend, just remember to look items over very carefully before raising that paddle. And please spread the word to all the unsuspecting new collectors in our hobby. There are many Great original hard-to-find machines in this auction, that should do very well. Good luck to all. Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby nvmos2 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:46 am

Buyers rely on sellers to truthfully describe items that they sell.
Sellers who knowingly misrepresent items can be sued for fraud.
Some of these machines sell at prices high enough to make a lawsuit feasible.
I've notified VCA that they have some bogus machines in their auction;
that way they can either warn bidders, pull the item, or risk being named as codefendants in a lawsuit when they buyer finds out he's been screwed with a phony antique.

Anyone have any other ideas?
nvmos2

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:25 am

I am going to the auction. I will let you know if any announcements are made.

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby cpdretired » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:30 am

SLOT DYNASTY wrote:A follow-up from my July 7 entry above, is posted below.

To all serious collectors. Especially new people in the coin-op hobby: [-o<

The following is not a reply to the above, but is a new warning to all, that may be thinking of bidding on the upcoming VCA auction, on Oct. 12, 13, & 14. As always, more BOGUS Trade Stimulators are making an appearance on the block. First, is lot #301 – A Groetchen “Penny Smoke”, (that thank God, did not get the name ground out of the top casting to put another recast nameplate on). Instead, it has Phoney made-up reel strips, with cigar bands glued on them, and an equally-as-Phoney made-up award card. This paper Never existed on any original machines. Also, the front casting is not an original match to a Penny Smoke model. The paint colors are not even close to original, and look child-done. Second, is the following lot #302 – Which is another Groetchen model that has had the original name ground out of the top casting, to place the recast Tavern name, and then the repro strips & card to match. Again, the paint colors are nowhere near correct, and look atrocious. The Third, is lot #581 – and is the second-worst BASTARDIZATION job I have ever seen this clown do to one of these models. The first one I seen, sold on eBay, on July 8, 2012, and sold to some poor soul for $1,582.57 That would have been a decent price, if it had been left in it’s original state. You can read my previous notes on this example above, as eBay auction #221062287929. The one that is on the block now, is even a worse Phoney than the previous one, which had a marquee with a made-up “Play Ball” card in a frame from another mfrs. model. This one has a recast “Baseball” marquee, that never came on this machine. You can still see the holes where the original marquee was mounted, partcially hidden under the new, which had to have new holes made for the wider mount. The strips, card, and red label strip, are all made-up phoneys, that also never came on this machine. The Caille decals were never mounted on these case side panels. The Phoniest of all, are the two rediculous looking repro decals on the sides, which are only for the Gottlieb “Miniature Baseball” machines. The paint colors, are again, INCORRECT, and look terrible. He apparently read my comments about the previous machine having stupid-looking ‘swirl marbles’ in the view window, and put solid colors in this one. Yeah! That fixed it! As many calls that I get from people that have gotten Screwed with this Bogus Crap, this clown keeps right on pumping them out. As I have said before, the days are numbered, when he is going to Screw with the wrong person, that will surely ‘Clean His Clock’. =D>

The sad thing, is that this person has bought 4 perfectly good original Caille machines, that I know of, and has been selling all the original marquee’s, strips, and cards on eBay, before Bastardizing them with all his Phoney Crap. You seasoned collectors, know what this does to the hobby. There are several other machines that he has purchased on eBay, that are liable to show up as other Made-up Phonies. Two of them were Superior “Cigarette Ball Gum” models, and the original strips & cards were sold on eBay as well. So, watch out! This all boils down to one word – GREED. Because some collectors seem to be focused on machines with a Beer theme, and Sports theme, and do not check first, to see what is legit. Oh yeah, now we got Cigars too! :^o

There are also other repro’s in the VCA auction to be aware of, that are not stated as such: Lot #373 – Pace “Base Ball”. Lot #493 – Pace “Whiz Ball”. Possibly Lot #524 – Rockola “Official Sweepstakes” (It’s hard to tell from the auction picture, but many repro’s are out there). Both gumball & non-gumball models. Also, Lots #1086 & #1086A – Repro Mills ‘Owl’ side mint venders, with child-like paint jobs. The only item that I noticed, that listed as a Repro, is Lot #730 – “Smilin Sam” Peanut Vender. Another machine that is a restored original, and doesn’t look right, is Lot #588 – Rockola “Hold and Draw”. It appears to have been chrome plated, and painted a very incorrect Ivory color. Hopefully all these Bogus & Incorrect machines do not get hammered down at insane prices, like they have in the past. Those of you who plan to attend, just remember to look items over very carefully before raising that paddle. And please spread the word to all the unsuspecting new collectors in our hobby. There are many Great original hard-to-find machines in this auction, that should do very well. Good luck to all. Bill

Auction Results 10/13/2012 For Modified or Reproduction Machines.
301 $750
302 $1200
373 $800
493 $350
524 $3250
581 $2250
588 Removed from auction
730 Removed from auction
1086 $275
1086A $275
cpdretired

Postby nvmos2 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:59 pm

WOW;
I wonder if the buyers really know what they have purchased.
If not, I hope they find out soon and are determined enough to take some aggressive action!
nvmos2

Postby cpdretired » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:17 pm

There are only a few people out there producing the counterfeit machines. We know who they are but the new collector does not.
cpdretired

Postby Mike Gumula » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:05 pm

I just want to go on record as thanking Bill and the others that go out of their way to warn collectors about the problems with "repos" and "fantasy" machines, with regard to slots & trade stimulators, that someone just throws together and sells as being real. You are risking catching some heat for taking people to task that are actually hurting the hobby !

I just hope that the word gets out on a wide enough basis to help preventy new collectors from gettin burned.

Mike Gumula
Graham, NC
Mike Gumula

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:08 am

Mike Gumula wrote:I just want to go on record as thanking Bill and the others that go out of their way to warn collectors about the problems with "repos" and "fantasy" machines, with regard to slots & trade stimulators, that someone just throws together and sells as being real. You are risking catching some heat for taking people to task that are actually hurting the hobby !

I just hope that the word gets out on a wide enough basis to help preventy new collectors from gettin burned.

Mike Gumula
Graham, NC

Well, It's time to untie the knot in this thread again.

With the upcoming VCA Auction this weekend, it is time to warn our collectors once again, about the PHONEY - BOGUS machines, that are NOT noted as being what they really are.
Item #1 - Daval "Daval Gum Vendor" - Bad corrosion all over the lower section. Hideous incorrect repaint.
Item #33 - Daval "Cent-A-Smoke" - This model never came this way. The jackpot is a recast, and only came on Pace machines. The reel strips and front card are Phoney-Made-Up versions that never
came on ANY machine. He had another collector make them up for him.
Item #174 - Buckley "Ball Gum" - Although the mfr. did make a version like this, the one here, was originally a "Cent-A-Pack", as you can see the holes in the top casting, where that nameplate was
mounted. That plate was removed, along with the cigarette strips and award card, a recast jackpot installed (incorrectly), and repro fruit strips installed.
Item #175 - B&M or Rockola "Baby Vender" - This has got to be THE WORST-OF-THE-WORST! A once perfectly good original machine, was completely BASTARDIZED, by removing the cast 'Ball Gum'
marquee, and installing a recast 'Baseball' marquee. The reel strips, upper left window card, and award card, are all PHONEY-MAKE-UPS, that never came in ANY machine, and made by
the same person that did the cigar phoneys above. The repro decals that are stuck on the sides of the case, are for a Gottlieb "Miniature Baseball" game, and do not belong. They look
rediculous on this machine.
Item #360 - Chicago Mint "Puritan Confection Vender" - Again, we have the same PHONEY-MADE-UP Baseball reel strips and award card, by the same person.
Item #361 - Midwest "Puritan Baby Vendor" - And Again. Same Phoneys as above. Also same award card, made Shrink-To-Fit.
Item #610 - Groetchen "Little Prince" - Here again, we have what is probably the 40th to 50th BOGUS Tavern that this clown has made-up over the years. The Ball Gum lettering was ground out of
the top casting, to mount the recast Tavern plate. Most of all, the lower front casting of this special model, was never-ever used on a Tavern variation, along with the repro beer strips
and award card.
In addition....................Also beware of the following:
Item #154, 155, 364, 365, 892, and 893 - All Jennings Light-Up Fronts. This same person has been making these up from the standard models for several years. Can't be sure, just looking at the
photos, but my guess, is they are. Just BEWARE!
Item #611 - Pace "Base Ball" - Is a 1980's to present day Repro.
Item #856 - Rockola "Official Sweepstakes" - Although this looks like a restored original, it could be one of the Repro's from So. Calif.
There does happen to be a few pieces in this auction, that has the word Contemporary use in the description, that most of the time is not indicated. Mainly 2 or 3 Repro "War Eagles". I think the
word Contemporary tends to slide-by many people, not knowing the real meaning. That's why the word REPRODUCTION should be Strongly used, so the bidders know exactly what it is. Now, it
will be interesting to see, just how many bidders get SHAFTED by the BOGUS machines in this venue. :roll:
If anyone cares to challenge anything that I have posted above, HAVE AT IT! :P
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby cpdretired » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:31 pm

Auction results for the bogus trade stimulators for 1/19.
Item #1 $450
33 $650
174 $575
175 $700
360 $750
361 $1300
Auction results for 1/20
611 $400
856 $2500
Auction #610 closed at $6.50. No this is not a type-o Six Dollars & Fifty Cents. Maybe for some reason the bidding was halted. If anyone was there maybe they can let us know what happened.
Last edited by cpdretired on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cpdretired

PreviousNext

Return to Tips on Identifying Fradulant Machines