Square Pinballs

This is the place to post about any fantastic find (past or present) that you think the rest of us would enjoy reading about.

Square Pinballs

Postby nvmos » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:20 am

I came across 2 square pinballs; this watling and a Rock-Ola.
I don't know anything about them;
Can anyone tell me when they were made?
What are they worth?
Who does restoration on them?
Thanks,
Jim
Attachments
Watling Pinball.jpg
nvmos

Watling Pin Game

Postby watlingboy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:21 pm

This was Watlings attempt to get into the pinball game. In 1932, they were closing them out, an apparent failure. It is made of solid walnut and came in two versions, a gambling and non gambling version. The top and legs appear to be missing on yours. The way it worked was for 5 cents, you got 10 wooden balls to shoot into holes in the round play field. Each hole has a point value with some holes returning your ball for a reshoot. You could bet against your buddy. One ball was red and that one counted double where ever it landed. The non gambling is uncommon but the gambling version is rare. Looks like you have the non gambling version. The way the gambling version worked was like this, the front has a large aluminum casting with a door in the center that would be unlocked by the store or bar owner. On the side was a wood door that could only be unlocked by the owner or operator of the machine. In the front casting were two glass windows marked 1 and 2 with a space in the center. A black board was usually behind the machine and the high score for the day got the money that collected in coin tray number 1. High score for the week got what collected in coin tray number 2. In the machine was a large coin head that deposited nickels in the side for the owner, in trays marked 1 and 2 and a third tray for the the owner of the bar or establishment. This tray was in the space between the two windows and not visible.. I have never put enough nickels through it to see what the distribution is but I'm sure it is not an even distribution. If you are missing the legs and top frame I'm not sure it is worth restoring. Complete and original, it is worth $900 to $1200. The gambling version is worth about $2500 plus. If the top is gone you are also missing a metal frame with the operating instructions. You would need one to copy. The only guy I know who might restore this is Jeff Frahm of Two Bit Restorations in St. Louis.

Hope this helps and good lluck.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby nvmos » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:12 am

Very interesting; and very helpful!
Thank you, Watlingboy.
Jim
nvmos

Return to Fantastic Finds