Early War Eagle.

This is the place to post about any fantastic find (past or present) that you think the rest of us would enjoy reading about.

Re: Early War Eagle.

Postby oldslotman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:12 pm

altort wrote:The slot looks great! what did you use on the cabinet to bring the finish back? I have used "HOWARD RESTORE-A-FINISH" with goo results, like to know what else works and try, also read in other post that "NOXZEMA" works on bringing back reel strips but have yet to try.
Great job.

I tried the Noxzema on the reel strips but had no luck and seen no change or improvement. On the cabinet I used a 200 grit sandpaper the remove the old seal coat and then applied a new seal coat of MinWax polyurethane clear semi-gloss. I could not believe that the old decals on the side must have been under the originial seal coat because they looked better after I lightly sanded over the top of them. I thought for sure they would come off with the light sanding. No new stain was needed or used.
oldslotman

Postby flipper77 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:43 am

Having just completed a War Eagle restoration - can comment OUTSTANDING WORK! Looks terrific. Would have just hated to replace those original metal Mills strips but guess that you had to. I have a rough Treasury with the most rusty metal strips known to civilization but I just can't pop these off and put on remakes. The Watling remake strips that I have found are much poorer quality than the Mills strips that you have so that is a factor. What did you say the serial on this early machine is? Mine is in the 363,xxx range with vendor so mine is more in the middle of the War Eagle run. Great work and thanks for the update!

Flip
flipper77

Postby oldslotman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:02 am

flipper77 wrote:Having just completed a War Eagle restoration - can comment OUTSTANDING WORK! Looks terrific. Would have just hated to replace those original metal Mills strips but guess that you had to. I have a rough Treasury with the most rusty metal strips known to civilization but I just can't pop these off and put on remakes. The Watling remake strips that I have found are much poorer quality than the Mills strips that you have so that is a factor. What did you say the serial on this early machine is? Mine is in the 363,xxx range with vendor so mine is more in the middle of the War Eagle run. Great work and thanks for the update!

Flip

Serial number 264XXX.
oldslotman

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:31 pm

What a fantastic find on this "War Eagle", and even more fantastic, that you were able to save it from some of our machine-butchers, that would have
surely 'Over-Restored' it. This is an example of what I call 'RESTORED'. Not what some of the hamburgers are presenting on fleabay. One of the most
commonly mis-used words in our hobby is 'Restored'. This word should never be used, when one uses god-awful paint schemes, over-polishing of castings,
incorrect parts, etc., etc. Also, let us not forget the No.1 most mis-used word......'RARE'. What a joke! The ONLY time the word Rare should be used, is
when an item is a one-of, up to less than 10 known. There are quite a few Rare machines in our hobby, and the most seasoned collectors know what most
of them are. If you scan through fleabay on a daily basis, there are those that think most machines are Rare. I guess so, if you have never seen one before
now! One of the biggest laughs I had a few years ago, is when a seller put a Groetchen "Imp" on eBay, and his auction header said "Rare, Rare, Rare, Imp".
I did contact the seller, to find out what was so rare about it. His lame excuse, was that "he had never seen one before". #-o
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:07 pm

i just went on to ebay, and just typed the word RARE into search....
2,194, 483 items came up.
i would be willing to bet that 99.9% of it ISN'T.
Midcoast Vintage

Postby oldslotman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:58 pm

I don't like to use the word restored either. I call it the " New Old Look " . I have taken a few liberties with my paint on some machines but mostly I like to return them to the originial colors or as close as possible. After looking at some of my machines I have some friends and relatives that are thinking of buying one for themselves. I tell them that these are machines that you just can't buy anytime or anywhere you want. You have to be very careful and sometimes the worst a machine looks the better buy it can be. The search continues. Thanks for your kind words.
oldslotman

Postby terick2104 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:05 am

Did you paint over the old paint? Another couple of tips for you guys - sometimes I will have a nice original that doesn't need a case restoration, I will take some 0000 steel wool and aluminum polish [Fitz - Simichrome - Mothers etc] dab a little polish on the steel wool and rub it on the parts of the castings that would normally be polished and work into the casting, then buff it out with soft paper towels. it gives the casting a nice soft sheen. Also I use Go-Jo on the original strips to clean them up - it won't work on strips with a flat finish, but does a nice job on strips with a sheen on them such as Mills, Jennings and Watling.
terick2104

Postby oldslotman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:19 am

terick2104 wrote:Did you paint over the old paint? Another couple of tips for you guys - sometimes I will have a nice original that doesn't need a case restoration, I will take some 0000 steel wool and aluminum polish [Fitz - Simichrome - Mothers etc] dab a little polish on the steel wool and rub it on the parts of the castings that would normally be polished and work into the casting, then buff it out with soft paper towels. it gives the casting a nice soft sheen. Also I use Go-Jo on the original strips to clean them up - it won't work on strips with a flat finish, but does a nice job on strips with a sheen on them such as Mills, Jennings and Watling.

I did paint over what paint was left on the castings. I also used the steel wool and a tooth brush and aluminum polish, Mother"s polish for aluminum wheels, and then buffed it out with newspaper.
oldslotman

Previous

Return to Fantastic Finds