Caille Play-Boy (No Lemon)

This is the place to post about any fantastic find (past or present) that you think the rest of us would enjoy reading about.

Re: Caille Play-Boy (No Lemon)

Postby marsonion » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:23 pm

Bucky wrote:I now own the black machine in the pictures above. Purchased off of ebay. The mechanism is identical to every other Caille machine I have, so no special slug detection exists.

I was a little disappointed in the condition as received, as the pictures did not represent (to me) the actual condition of the case. There was a fair amount of corrosion / pitting of the case. And the mechanism needs work...

Oh well.

If anyone wants any specific view, I can take pictures.
The tag number on mine is 113485.

Hi Patrick!

Hi Jamie,

Yeah, I don't think anybody suspected that the extended top casting on your black machine contains anything besides air, but the high-hat on the red-and-blue monster probably does enclose some sort of ponderous slug-rejecting gizmo. These contraptions were popular (or not) for a period in the late '30s; As Andy indicated, there are examples from Jennings and Pace:

http://www.nationsattic.com/DSC04990.JPG

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/463 ... 04778B2DE0

Naturally, nobody can be absolutely sure whether or not the picture I posted is a Caille Co. example of this short-lived trend unless we could get inside it as Bill suggests. Could be it's merely an example of a cosmetic customizing mod by a monkey-jack operator with very bad design sense.

Speaking of, there's plenty of material online about George W. Walker which highlights what Bueschel had to say about him. I'm attaching an image of a TIME magazine cover featuring Walker alongside the Edsel elephant's vagina grille which was unveiled under his watch and became such a hit with the automobile-purchasing American public during that period. So, maybe Walker actually was responsible for that filleted flounder of a "stingray" trim piece after all. On the other hand, it occurred to me that perhaps the entire 1939 "Knockout" line of Caille Bros. production slot machines could have resulted from the lead designer saying "I'm outta here! You guys can just Knock 'em Out any way you like!" :D

http://www.joesherlock.com/Car-Musings2.html#1-16-13

[edited to remove nonessential picture 9-11-2014]
Last edited by marsonion on Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marsonion

Postby 3reel » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:52 pm

An all original, working Caille Playboy. Has hydraulic clock. Click twice on photo to see up close decal behind reel window.
Attachments
100_0987.jpg
3reel

Postby marsonion » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:03 am

Somewhere on this thread I got to blathering about some of those freakish slug-rejecting towers which started appearing on various makes and models toward the end of the '30s. I just ran across this one online a couple of days ago. Can somebody enlighten me as to why this sort of thing was necessary (?) at the time and/or what sort of detector/rejector gizmos required all that additional altitude?
Attachments
tower.jpg
front1.jpg
marsonion

Postby marsonion » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:45 am

eBay item number:291238829101

Those towering coin entry/slug detectors keep showing up here and there on a variety of makes and models, and every time I see an example, I wonder what's inside them and what motivated this trend. It looks like the manufacturers went to a lot of trouble to produce these ungainly contraptions, so they must have had good reasons. Can anyone here explain--?

marsonion wrote:Somewhere on this thread I got to blathering about some of those freakish slug-rejecting towers which started appearing on various makes and models toward the end of the '30s. I just ran across this one online a couple of days ago. Can somebody enlighten me as to why this sort of thing was necessary (?) at the time and/or what sort of detector/rejector gizmos required all that additional altitude?
marsonion

Postby randyjaco » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:44 pm

Does anyone have a picture or link to the Hydraulic Clock? I can't even imagine what it must look like or how it would work.

Randy
"There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box" (Frederick Douglass)
randyjaco

Postby Mills » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:31 am

I wrote an article about this regulator : http://www.flipjuke.fr/regulateur-hydraulique-caille-t103436.html
Sorry, it is in French.....
37 slots machines.... May be more ?
Mills

Previous

Return to Fantastic Finds