This machine almost got whacked by the feds

This is the place to post about any fantastic find (past or present) that you think the rest of us would enjoy reading about.

This machine almost got whacked by the feds

Postby Dave » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:09 pm

Here is my latest find.

The story about it as told to me by the guy I bought it from is the following:

The guys father was in the basement of an old building in Flagstaff AZ and he and others came across a bunch of machines (including this one) back in 1960.

They didn't know what to do so they contacted the authorities [-X

The authorities then contacted the FBI who came in and grabbed the machines and then took them to the dump and smashed them with a sledge hammer. Supposedly it was reported in the local newspaper.

Anyway, this machine was grabbed by the guys father and hauled home before the authorities arrived.

It is kind of unusual to find a Castle Front with skill stops that is not a foreign machine.

It also has the original fortune telling strips.

The operator had removed part of the skill stop mechanism, however, I know a guy who has parts and he had the part I needed so it is now functioning again =D>

It had an original gold award token in it. There was also a $.50 piece in the gold award which jammed the mechanism up. That is probably why the original gold award was still in there.

There were also a couple of bugs on the reels. One to stop the gold award symbol from showing up on reel #2 and the other one was to prevent a bar from showing up on reel #3.

At one time in its life it had a side vendor on it but unfortunately that has been removed. I suspect it was taken off when the skill stops were deactivated.

It is strange that the machine does not have a gold award award card. I may pull the frame off to see if one is underneath it. Very unlikely but you never know.

The machine is in decent shape so I am just going to clean it up and get it working again. I am not going to restore it.

I have spent several hours on it today and have it working reasonably well. The Jackpot needs to be lubricated. Thankfully the machine was in an area of low humidity so there is no rust on the mechanism.

IMG_7121.jpg

These two symbols would never hit due to the bugs
IMG_7124.JPG

Here is the bug that is on the 2nd reel.
IMG_7125.JPG
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Fantastic Finds