Jennings Dixie Bell with stand

This is the place to post about any fantastic find (past or present) that you think the rest of us would enjoy reading about.

Jennings Dixie Bell with stand

Postby oldslotman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:27 am

Just picked up a Jennings Dixie Bell with a metal stand. Looks to be all original. Lock on the stand has been drilled out but the latching mechanism is still there and works. Hard to tell what the original color was. Looks like maybe gold or brown.
IMG_1209.JPG
IMG_1208.JPG
oldslotman

Re: Jennings Dixie Bell with stand

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:49 pm

good score.
fairly rare machine.
dick buschel told me when i called him on the first one i found back in about 1977, that they were special build machines for gangster frank costello.
i have had 3 of them over the years.
ALL were brown wrinkle finish.
wrinkle finish, and, hammertone finish paint is available from illinois bronze paint co, in chicago.
it is the same company that made it back in the 30's and 40's.
Midcoast Vintage

Postby Sparky563 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:28 pm

I can't wait to see it when you are done with it.
Sparky563

Postby TheFatman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:17 pm

Midcoast Vintage wrote:good score.

ALL were brown wrinkle finish.
wrinkle finish, and, hammertone finish paint is available from illinois bronze paint co, in chicago.
it is the same company that made it back in the 30's and 40's.

I have tried to look up that company and the info I got is that they were bought out a while ageo. If you have a good address or phone # or web address, I would appreciate it very much. Trying to find a good source for the green wrinkle paint used on the Vest Pocket slot from Mills.
Thanks ... Dave
TheFatman

Postby tmhatting » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:42 pm

I've always thought that the paint used on the vest pocket was hammer tone not wrinkle and redid mine with some I bought at Ace Hardware from Rustoleum. It came out great. Very easy to brush on and it levels itself out. Tom
tmhatting

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:50 pm

ILLINOIS BRONZE was bought out by sherwin williams.
they may sell direct, or, they will definitely let you know who carries it in your area.
https://www.google.com/#q=illinois+bronze+paint
Midcoast Vintage

Postby TheFatman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:20 pm

I have an old one and looking at the spray over on the inside, its original wrinkle green. This is the second one that I have had with that type of paint on it. I have 2 of them now, 1 a standard and the other a plus, and I redid one with the hammer tone and I used the same as you mentioned. So much better than the spray I first used. Really evened out well for using a brush. I guess I will just do the same for the plus. What type of gold did you use on the outside parts. I used the hammer on the main body and all I have been able to find is a metallic bronze. Thanks for the response.

Dave
TheFatman

Postby Chkita » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:02 am

I have been ordering my Hammertone paint from Jamestown Distributors in Rhode Island. I did a Vest Pocket and an IMP a few of weeks ago that turned out great. They have the correct Verve Green, Light Green, Dark Green, Light Blue, Dark Blue and a lot of other Hammer Colors that are hard to come by. I restored a Western Tot and they have Red Hammer too.They are actually a Boat Restoration Supplier, but have a lot of Hammer Paints.

Vance

Jamestown Distributors
17 Peckham Drive
Bristol, RI 02809
800-497-0010

tech@jamestowndistributors.com

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... ibutors%27
Chkita

Postby TheFatman » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:07 am

Thanks for the info
Dave
TheFatman

Postby oldslotman » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:57 am

Well, I took the big center bell off to see if I could find out what the original color was. To my suprise is was not brown or gold, it was a lime green color. So I removed the 5 cent badage and the other two bells and it was the same color green behind them. Lime green or light green wrinkle paint.
oldslotman

Next

Return to Fantastic Finds