1 cent pace Bantam

This is the place to post about any fantastic find (past or present) that you think the rest of us would enjoy reading about.

1 cent pace Bantam

Postby MJFHouston » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:14 pm

Found this machine in Rochester, New York.

The lady selling this machine remembers playing it when she was a small child. It was owned by her Grandfather who had it most of his life and passed away recently I believe at the age of 90

The seller told me her grandfather took great care with the machine and always cleaned and kept it running.

It has the original key, lock and coin bag inside. Only thing I plan on doing is getting the award card

Anyone ever seen a machine with the coin entry stating "1C" instead of the o-n-e- c-e-n-t spelt out

Pace Bantam 024.JPG
Pace Bantam 025.JPG
Pace Bantam 023.JPG
MJFHouston

Re: 1 cent pace Bantam

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:56 pm

nice machine.
never seen that on a coin entry before.
very cool!
Midcoast Vintage

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:06 pm

Cool story to go with the machine.

Did she say where the machine was on location at?
Dave
Site Admin

Postby nvmos2 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:23 pm

Yes;
see the one pictured in Slot Machines on Parade, page 59.
Note that the "cent" symbol is different and lots of variations in the rest of the castings as well.

Great Find!
nvmos2

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:53 am

Gentlemen: A little bit of Pace history, and mind you, I am nowhere near a Pace expert.
Those credentials belonged to the late, (and good friend), Jim Waters. He knew just about
everything there was, about Pace Slots & Trade Stimulators. I learned a lot from him. He
probably could have told us all about this particular coin head version. I don't remember
seeing this 1c coin head on any model either.

Yes, all Pace "Bantam", "Comet", etc. coin heads, that I have ever seen, all say (one cent).
There is a multitude of front casting designs for the Bantam. Some are very minute. The
5c machines vary greatly, in coin head design. There is one style, that says (5c Play), but
most just say (5c). There are more than one design of the 5c symbol. Some have the vertical
line protruding all the way through the C. Others with the tip of the line at the top & bottom,
as well as the line just within the C. There is also a version with the complete C, within the
bottom loop of a larger 5. Most 25c machines, just have (25), but there is a version that has
25c Play. All 10c machines, just have (10), except for the 'Big Head' version, that has (10c).
This is what I think may have happened with MJFHouston's machine, and this is only speculation.
Don't think the Pace factory would have done this, but possibly an operator needed a coin head
for this 1c machine, and only had a 10c one available, so he oversized the entry hole, and made
the necessary changes below, and cut out the right side of the O, to make it a C. Therefore, you
may have the only known example with this coin head design. How's that for a story? Sure sounds
good to me! =D>
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby nvmos2 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:09 pm

I believe the “1C” coin head pictured above is a Pace original.

When I first saw it, I also thought it might be an operator modification to a “10” cent coin head and previously asked MJFHouston (via PM) to examine it closely for any signs of cutting/scraping etc. Although I have not heard back from him, that theory does seem unlikely, and even less probable that Pace would need to do that. More likely, Pace did a minor modification to the “10” cent coin head moulding to produce the “1C” coin heads.

A google search for Pace Bantam images turned up 2 other penny machines with the same “1C” coin head.

Clearly, the “one cent” (spelled out) coin heads are the common variation.

Less common are the “1c” (using a proper cent symbol) coin head, as seen in Slots on Parade, which did not come up at all in the search results.
nvmos2

Postby MJFHouston » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:30 pm

Sorry guys, I have a two year old that keeps me very busy, I was not ignoring anyone

I took a good look at the 1C coin head and I'd agree with nvmos2 there are no signs to indicate that someone made a 10 into a 1C. The "C" is perfect just as the "1" is.

Someone asked me for the serial number and that is #12201. The machine does not have the stickers on the inside of the cabinet

Would anyone be able to tell from the serial number if the machine is an older or earlier version

nvmos2 I sent you a PM with my e-mail address if you get a chance to send me the pictures from the book
MJFHouston

Postby TheFatman » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:13 pm

I agree that this is not a ground down casting. If you follow the line of the bottom of the C ... it would not connect back to the top.
Dave F
TheFatman

Postby papaslots » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:01 pm

Checking the casting number on the coinhead would show that it started life as a 10 cent coinhead.
papaslots

Postby MJFHouston » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:34 pm

Papaslots,

If there is somewhere you would like for me to check I'll try but you'll have to explain it to me what and where to look.

I have no doubt this is an all original 1 cent machine
MJFHouston

Next

Return to Fantastic Finds