Watling Roll a Tor

This is the place to post about any fantastic find (past or present) that you think the rest of us would enjoy reading about.

Watling Roll a Tor

Postby captkid » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:53 am

Lucky Find!! - Nice original Watling Roll a Tor

Needs 2 Mint vendor Doors - new cabinet base, back door/ Lock and some cleanup

Gold award - Mint Vendor - US coinage casting - tin reel strips - Doesnt get much better!!

If anyone has the Mint doors and locks or other parts - Please let me know !
Jsouth1954@aol.com :D
captkid

Re: Watling Roll a Tor

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:52 pm

nice machine.
this was listed on ebay.
here is a link to the listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WATLING-ROLL-A- ... 33963afc9a
Midcoast Vintage

Postby damikeguy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:37 pm

I saw that machine on eBay first thing in the morning. I went from my iPad to my upstairs computer to buy it and it was pulled/ sold. Congratulations, it's a beautiful machine =D>
Mike
damikeguy

Postby captkid » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:18 am

Hello all
From all the past posts - looks like there is lost of Watling experts out there !

See my resent Roll a Tor pictures on the site under great finds -

would like any comments on restoring this machine

The major issues - the wood base need to be replaced (would assume it was damaged and replaced with a undersize wood panel - no damage just looks bad!), mint vendor doors/locks are missing, back door damaged (cut off at the bottom (i assume as a result of replacing the wood bottom- stupid!) and lock is missing)

so It will need parts - any help would be welcome - originals would be great, but repro parts would do for now

other than those issues - the machine cycles good and pays well - no cracks in the castings and is in nice shape - will service the mech - and will retain the original tin reel strips although they show wear and some rust spots

Now - Any suggestions as far as cabinet casting restore - casting polish, (was the machine originally plated? - I think this looks a little over done, but if its correct - ok ) and what the proper re-paint pattern / colors as most of the original colors are missing - would like to do this correctly - i see alot of posting on improper repaints - is there a guide on how it was originally painted?

This is such a nice early example, i wish to do this well
thanks for any comments! - Captkid
captkid

Postby damikeguy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:11 am

If it was me I wouldn't paint or polish the casting . Its to nice of a machine.That just my opinion. There are many experts on this forum that can help you with locating parts . There is also the Chicagoland show in November for parts.
Mike
damikeguy

Return to Fantastic Finds