Pace Machine Find

This is the place to post about any fantastic find (past or present) that you think the rest of us would enjoy reading about.

Pace Machine Find

Postby flipper77 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:02 am

Here is a picture of my recently found Pace Machine and the advertisement that accompanied the machine. This is the reverse side of the Pace New Deal flyer that I posted in the Just Chatting area. Advertisement dated 1938. I just find it interesting to find variations of the common machines and then find the advertisement that ran when these were sold. Nice smooth-playing machine. The melon jackpot does not drop a token - it does increment a counter on the mech. Fun hobby!

Flip
Attachments
PaceMelon.jpg
Pace Melon (2).JPG
flipper77

Re: Pace Machine Find

Postby Anglobritish » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:16 am

My point entirely, this is the only way to verify the originality of a machine. A typical example is with the Mills Blue Front, in one lewsletter in the October 1980 Edition of The Coin Slot, where a collector, one Robert Lewis of New York City, equires about his Mills Blue Front Hand Load Mystery model with a serial number 448646 he is asking which Coin Slot guide should he buy to varify his machine. The answer from the EDITOR is shown in the attached clip from that Coin Slot Edition. I also include the recommended copies of Coin Slot that the Editor told the collector to get.

Like one collector as observed, Dick was paid by Bill and Rosanne Harris to churn out all of this information for commercial reasons, With the advent of the Internet, there is so much more information to be found from actual reports of the time these games were produced, giving a first hand information, rather than any findings from those later years, of the 1980's.

Freddy Bailey
Mills Hand Load Black Front 1937.jpg
Coin Slot Guideds1980.jpg
Anglobritish

Re: Pace Machine Find

Postby nvmos2 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:19 pm

Wow; this really is a fantastic find; looks to be nicely and accurately restored;
don't know how many Pace Deluxe Melon Bells are still around, but am sure I've never seen one in person.

I've got a few original flyers and have them framed and hanging near the machine; adds a lot.

Hate to distract from the Melon Bell and get sucked onto this rabbit trail, but must say I find the CS Guides to be very good to this day;
they are filled with accurate and useful info; any/all new material that has surfaced supplements them, not negates them.
The advice in the CS extract above is still good 35 years later;
any collector with a Black Front would benefit from having Guide 15 and
anyone with a Mills Bullseye will find a lot of good info in Guide 17.

Dick Bueschel was an outstanding historian of coin-op, military aviation, and I don't know what else. Coin-op seemed to be more than a vocation, but also an enjoyed avocation with him.
I believe he worked with many editors and publishers, not just the Harris's to provide an enormous body of work to advance this hobby, and I doubt if anyone will ever come close to filling his shoes.
nvmos2

Return to Fantastic Finds