War Eagle and Roman Head

This is the place to post about any fantastic find (past or present) that you think the rest of us would enjoy reading about.

War Eagle and Roman Head

Postby MJFHouston » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:20 pm

I think in my opinion "Fantastic Finds" is my favorite part because I love to read the stories and see whatever it is that people discover. Seems most people must keep their finds to themselves because I'm sure there should be a lot more posts for fantastic finds. I guess it's the same reason why people don't even put there address on here to let people know what state they are in. I read so many post when someone always asks.."What state are you in". Didn't know it was such a secret what State people live in.
I'm sorry if these are not the rare cast iron... older slots that people are interested in reading about, but I love it when I can track down a original untouched machine. The thrill of the hunt is an experience you just can not explain unless you experience it.

What I've found recently is a 25 cent Mill's War Eagle slot machine untouched. The machine is dirty filthy. It was full of stuffing and material where I think something was trying to make a home inside. I took a picture of the material I'm referring to and that is only about 30 percent that I have pulled out so far. The machine does not have the back door or cash box, but I have no doubts its 100 percent original. This machine was found right here in Houston, Texas. The story from the man I bought it from was that it was his wife's grandfather's and been sitting in an attic for years.

I have a question if anyone can answer. In the second picture of the front casting (War Eagle) I indicated 3 spots with three small black arrows. Can anyone tell me why some machines have these three spots or marks and why some do not.

The second is a beautiful original Mill's Roman Head I found complete in California and working.

Happy Hunting
Roman Head and War Eagle 018.JPG

Roman Head and War Eagle 019.JPG
Roman Head and War Eagle 021.JPG
Roman Head and War Eagle 022.JPG
Roman Head and War Eagle 023.JPG
Roman Head and War Eagle 024.JPG
Roman Head and War Eagle 026.JPG
Roman Head and War Eagle 027.JPG
MJFHouston

Re: War Eagle and Roman Head

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:35 pm

Nice finds!
Those spots are for if / when the skill stop feature was ever going to be installed.
I have never seen a war eagle with skill stops, but, have seen a few castle fronts that had them.
Midcoast Vintage

Re: War Eagle and Roman Head

Postby altort » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:56 pm

Congratulations on your finds.

I dont know if mills ever had planed to put skill stop buttons below the reel window, but all escalator mill slots that I have seen have had the skill stop buttons between the reel glass and that is also were mine has it.
I have seen one reference of a 50¢ war eagle having skill stops but have not found any pictures.

Now searching on line I see that only a small percentage of war eagles have the three circles below the reel windows what I am wondering if all of them are early production and mills had planed on skill stops in that ares also if the insides of the castings has any different relief for skill stop buttons.

Now I also started looking at castle fronts, there are not many with skill stops but all that I found with skill stops also had the gold award, now this is what I find interesting, of the hundreds of castle fronts there were three with similar round bosses in the upper casting in the same location as the was eagle, there were dozens of war eagle with those circles but only three castle fronts!

Any thoughts?

altort

Return to Fantastic Finds