Caille Superior PROTOTYPE???

This is the place to post about any fantastic find (past or present) that you think the rest of us would enjoy reading about.

Caille Superior PROTOTYPE???

Postby MaverickPT » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:46 pm

Hi to all!

Im a collector from Portugal - Europe. I collect and restore antique gaming devices and today i have about 30 machines and all books on this subject.
Still im beginning one peculiar restoration a Caille Superior that i have never seen.
Maybe someone here can say something about this.

Its a regular superior, but the jackpot is different, it has a small window with a two lady casting and a very ornate jackpot cup.
I believe this is original because the jackpot mechanism is part of the caille mechanism and made in the same materials than the mech itself, and because the casting look to be original too from both sides.
Maybe this is a prototype?

My mech was without reels, but now i found a reel set for this and im starting this restoration.

Cailles i have restored: Caille Comercial, a Caille Centaur
Cailles for restoration: Caille Eclipse, Caille New Century Detroit and this Superior!!

Your opinions are most welcome and please if you find a photo of another machine like this please tell!!!!

I apreciate that any of you guys that has superior slots come forward as im gonna need some help on restoring this one, because i believe that i have some parts missing. So if anyone can take hi res photos of a superior mech please send PM.

Sorry for my english, best regards from Portugal!!!!
Attachments
caille.jpg
MaverickPT

Re: Caille Superior PROTOTYPE???

Postby TJ » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:16 pm

That coin entry is very large what coin do you think was used to operate the machine. Can you post some pictures of the mechanism. This is the second interesting variation I have seen. Hope it goes well getting it back to operating condition.
TJ

Postby Anglobritish » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:34 pm

Hi,
Your machine was a re-vamp of a 1926 Superior, and converted by the french distributor for the English old penny, also you will see that the award card as a maximum of 12 payout, that was the law in England, also they put the small jackpot on the machine to compete with the Mills Pointseter that was popular in England at the time, do you have the mechanism, if so check to see the size of the coin ?.

Freddy Bailey
Anglobritish

Postby MaverickPT » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:41 pm

Hi!! thanks for your replies!!
But the machine is NOT changed to English penny, i have some that are so i can compare.
The coin tube is much shrt in diameter than the big english penny coin.

Also ive seen revamps... and mostly they change or cut escalators, change coin entrys and change coin tubes and payout slides to fit their coins.

But adding a jackpot like this, i really dont believe that. castings are a perfect match in meterial and style, and the jackpot mechanism is PART of the caille mech.

Ill post pictures tomorrow of the mech still without reels!!!

this is a mistery alright!! :)

thanks for your replies!!
MaverickPT

Postby MaverickPT » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:44 pm

Also, the payout card is not limited. It has correct payout ammounts.
MaverickPT

Postby watlingboy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:00 pm

This is a conversion, revamp or an additional model using a Caille Naked Lady. The top casting and panels to the left and right of the added jackpot area match the Naked Lady. Makes sense that the old out dated Naked Lady slots would have a jack pot added to make them fit the current market at the time. Much like Pace and Rockola did. My guess, not a prototype, just a limited model with few surviving examples.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby mechanic » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:14 pm

If this is a prototype it will have either the 5 digit part number on the center casting or CB Co stamped on it. Some very early machines had the prefix NLB which was very similar to Mills MLB's. If there is no markings or some other then it is a revamp of some sort.
mechanic

Postby Anglobritish » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:48 pm

How can you say the reward card is normal, when I zoom in to the top of the machine, clearly shows the top payout as 12 also if it is not the old English penny then it is an Half Penny or sixpence model, it cannot be later than the 1930's because of the small jackpot, also Caille went out of the business, they had a very strong French distributor who also supplied the British Market. It is definately NOT a prototype.

Freddy Bailey
The Official British Coin Machine Historian
Anglobritish

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:04 am

Here is a pix of another "Superior" French jackpot revamp. It has the typical single naked lady, but with
a much plainer jackpot casting. Note the Quarter Play award card, which was replaced at some point, after
hitting the U.S. market, as there is a French coin the same size as our quarter.
I noticed that your payout cup appears loose from the wood channel, or is it a shadow?
Caille 25c 'Superior' Naked lady JP.jpg
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby MaverickPT » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:48 am

Hi to All!

First of all, thanks for your time and participation on this.
When i worte "prototype" i was meaning that its strange as for 22 years restoring and collecting machines i never seen another one like this even in the around 40 books i have. But i really dont believe it to be a prototype!! but if these were upgraded in mass there should be some pics of some simillar right?

trying to reply to all here:

- the castings appear loose because all of them are not attached to the cabinet as im beggining the restoration. But they FIT perfectly and the detail in awsome.
- Payout numbers, i added a close up photo to confirm that payout is not changed.
- Also i can read in the payout that "discs are to be exchanged for goods" this means that this machine probably worked with checks and not coins? who agrees?
- Attached photos of the mech, i have some spare parts in a box but i dont know if i have all of them. Check payout slides (they look original)

NOTICE the jackpot assembly in the machine, to me the jackpot mech sure looks made with parts and materials similar to the whole machine.
The close up jackpot mech photo shows the rails for the glass (glass is not to be attached to the casting).
The system that fills the jackpot, has a "funny" feature, the round part similar to a cylinder spins to let coins fall into the jackpot window when the handle is pulled.

Its not a single part that mooves the jackpot, it has about 3 or 4 parts that interact with the mech.
If it is a revamp, they complicated a lot :)
Maybe an upgrade? But still i havent seen another like this :)

best regards to all!!!
Attachments
IMG-20160115-WA0006.jpg
jackpot mech
IMG-20160115-WA0007.jpg
mech front
IMG-20160115-WA0001.jpg
mech back
IMG-20160115-WA0000.jpg
mech side 2
IMG-20160115-WA0002.jpg
mech side