1930 Jennings peacock, mint vendor front .25. ORIGINAL CONDI

Have a machine for sale? List it here. List reproduction machines at your own risk!

Re: 1930 Jennings peacock, mint vendor front .25. ORIGINAL C

Postby nvmos2 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:56 pm

Tony was a great-grandson of Herbert Mills. By the time he got into the business, the family empire had dwindled to almost nothing compared to its glory days. We lived in Vegas for 3 years in late 70s and I stopped by several times to talk with Tony. It was kind of sad knowing that his family once dominated the slot industry. But he seemed positive and without any bitterness. In retrospect, I should have taken notes on some of the stories he had to tell.

I see you’re from TX; we lived in Abilene in early 80s. You may remember the tourist trap Old Abilene Town that was just to the east of Abilene; it closed down shortly before we moved there. A bunch of great arcade games and token slots came out of there. I was able to pick up a couple games, but it was pretty much picked over by the time I got to it. I also remember the First Monday market east of Dallas was good hunting grounds for coinop.

We settled down in southeast Virginia and have been too busy working for the past 15 years to do much with coinop until recently; now I’m supposed to be down-sizing the collections so we can move to a retirement home somewhere yet to be determined.
I’ve sold a few things on ebay; at rate I’m going, we’ll be ready to move in about 73 years.
nvmos2

Postby andydotp » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:10 am

flipper77 wrote:Encouraging for all of us - I may check on price trends on several Superior Confection machines that I don't really need

Yikes flipper77!! What, just laying around collecting dust? I only wish I had the same dilemma. #-o
andydotp/"the aussie"
andydotp

Postby flipper77 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:42 am

Great postings, Andy - always fun to read. I have ten slots in my office to show off and to impress folks when they visit. Rol-A-Top and Treasury, original Mills Success which is real eye-catcher, two basic machines just fun to play - quarter Pace Deluxe Chrome Comet and Mills Hightop Bonus among others. And then at home, a basement full that don't get much play once our sons married and moved on. Example - could I live without this Superior? Many years ago, traded a Bally Spark Plug and a good deal of cash for this as it was nice original - and just different than the Mills and Jennings I saw all the time. I love the history of the antique slots - this Superior is serial 540 - just think about that versus the six figure Mills serials. And Superior probably started the serial track at 500 - how many were made and how many are still out there?
Attachments
005.JPG
flipper77

Postby mrolucky » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:32 am

Sounds like you're bout to be in your golden years whee my parents are now. They're enjoying life, sounds like you are as well. My mom was born and raised around Abilene. I was born and raised in Dallas, still live here. Just turned 50 this pats year.

Sounds like some very interesting conversations you had with Mr. Mills and it would have been rather sad watching that operation dwindle as electronics passed them by. I would have loved to live in Vegas back during the rat pack era, seems to me those were some good ole days.
mrolucky

Previous

Return to Machines For Sale