1930 Jennings peacock, mint vendor front .25. ORIGINAL CONDI

Have a machine for sale? List it here. List reproduction machines at your own risk!

Re: 1930 Jennings peacock, mint vendor front .25. ORIGINAL C

Postby Dave » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:21 pm

Here is price history of the Peacock as reported by the online price guide (http://www.AntiqueSlotMachinePriceGuide.com

As you can see, more than one has sold in excess of $7,000 in the past.

Prices do not indicate the juice if sold at a live auction.

I am not making a comment about what they are currently worth. Just presenting some facts.

Click on the image for a larger view.

Dave
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-03-12 at 3.08.41 PM.png
Dave
Site Admin

Postby mrolucky » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:07 pm

Dave:

Thank you for you kind response and all of your hard work in creating a great forum. Clearly you are the gentleman I thought you were.

To the guy that believes this machine is worth no more than 2500, I don't believe your comments warrant any further response other than what I have already said.
mrolucky

Postby andydotp » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:43 pm

andydotp wrote:Mine's in far better condition, much 'Rarer', earlier serial number sold to your route operator by Al Capone (I have the original Tax Receipt) and only $11,999 #-o

My British sense of humour obviously flew straight over your head mrolucky - particularly the reference to Mr Capone and "Tax Evasion". Seems most others saw it for what it was however.
I wasn't intentionally being rude and you're being too precious. If you can get $6,500 for it all good to you, seriously.
Re: present value advice requested in a separate thread:
mrolucky wrote:I asked (and realize now, should have never done so) the rough value of this machine.

You did and I answered with an honest opinion and intimated that I had been 'pulling your leg' in my post to your introductory thread.

I agree there are some rude, unhelpful folk out & about yet I'm not one of them.
Australian alright, but that's my excuse.
Check out the chart.....
Good luck selling your very nice machine.
Regards,
andydotp
andydotp

Postby flipper77 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:31 am

Well said, Andy. We can all agree that Dave's blog and his online price guides are a great asset. Anyone looking for guidance on value and sell price of a particular machine should purchase access to the Price Guide. The Jennings Peacock graph is interesting. The average sell price of the 33 Peacocks sold between 2004 and 2012 is $2400 - pretty much in line with what many of us would estimate. But there are the three outliers that are fairly recent that would say that there is a high dollar market for an exceptional machine. So point well taken as well. Encouraging for all of us - I may check on price trends on several Superior Confection machines that I don't really need. So - great looking machine and good luck if seller decides to part with it.

Flip
flipper77

Postby nvmos2 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:31 am

Found it; I got off track since the original 2005 posting was by Dave rather than mrolucky and subsequent replies moved it up to 2011 area where I just overlooked it.

At any rate, just one photo but it’s clearly an outstanding example. I find it absolutely amazing that this machine could spend 50 or so years working out on route and remain in such pristine condition. It’s also interesting that it is the gooseneck version as are the two Brit machines pictured with it; can’t say for sure, but I think I’ve seen a lot more escalator models than the gooseneck version of this machine.

Looks like a great machine with an interesting story.
Unfortunately, discussion of the machine was superseded by discussion of the price.

Fortunately, Dave has provided some objective price data.
From the data, looks like they were mostly going in the 2K range for several years.
Politeness aside, I can certainly see how someone without current data would reasonably estimate $2500.
In recent years, however, there is a wide range in prices going up over 7K, but the average price is still only around 3.3K just for the recent years.
I would have never guessed they’d gotten that high.
If 2 informed buyers separately offered $6500, that should be a good indication of what it might go for.
If the seller wants to hold out for 12.5K, it could be a long wait, but who knows what might happen. Seems like machines regularly go for eye-popping prices, except when I’m the seller.

There are a lot of guys in this hobby for whom price is no object; if one of them wants it, it would be interesting to see what it brings after all this hoopla. Judging from the photo, it’ll be at the top of the range.

Unless mrolucky updates this thread with results of his sale, we’ll never know since it’ll probably be a private sale. Hopefully, he will at least provide Dave with results to update the data base.
nvmos2

Postby mrolucky » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:18 am

Nvmos.

Thanks for your reply. You are correct in that I may wait a long time to get upwards 10k and your latest thoughts are appreciated. The route operator was a friend of the family and had a handful of his machines in his basement as he pulled them off the routes early on. As a kid, I can remember the 6 or 7 and this was one of them. Now, back in the day, when I collected more often (down now to only 4 machines), I would only collect machines that were all original. It appears clear to me a really solid all original untouched machine is getting harder and harder and harder to come by. I still believe in the long haul, they will bring more $$$, but I could be wrong.

Not sure what the Aussie means when he calls me precious...Sorry, I was simply tought to treat others with respect and there would have been a much better way to share the aussie's thoughts as well as others. I still love the machines and the thought that comes with how many folks played a particular machine over the years, and who might have played that machine is intriguing.

Overall I'm simply saying, lets try not to screw up a great thing started by Dave years ago. He has obviously put a lot of hard work and effort into something, so lets try and attract rather than detract others. Lets try and change people's perceptions about collectors.

PS: I think I'll be keeping the machine. It clearly means more to me than its monetary value.
mrolucky

Postby nvmos2 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 am

mrolucky;

Clearly for an all original machine, your Peacock is far above average.
I think you also mentioned that it is a 25 cent machine. That would make it, (dare I say it?) a rare find indeed.

I too am down-sizing my collection (or at least thinking about it).
When I look around at my machines, all I can say is that if I had that Peacock, it would surely be a keeper.
Now I'm wondering; if that is the machine you were thinking of selling, what are your OTHER machines; they must REALLY be nice.

I think I'm well aware of what you're saying about us old fart collectors; especially when we're on line and not dealing face-to-face.
It's human nature, but it does seem worse in coinop than in my other area of collecting (vintage motorcycles).
You've got me mulling over another post, but rather than extend this thread,
I think I'll move it over to the one Dave recently started on What's Ruining the Hobby.

Finally, I think all the participants on this forum are good guys (even the jerk that popped up on the legal mess thread), but sometimes we don't come across well in some postings.
nvmos2

Postby mrolucky » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:19 am

The others are not all that rare but I really like them.

A console token bell.., with over under jackpot, all original..., the large wood console and the machine are in beautiful condition...some might not think it's all that great, but I love the way it looks and plays. The green, black and gold with the lady on front might be my favorite combo.

Another is just an ordinary black gold hightop in original condition that came out of the last frontier, can't get rid of it because everyone who comes over loves playing it.

A hightop watermelon.....

I know they're not that rare but I kinda like the hightops

Actually, you're right, I'm keeping all of them. It's just that every now and then I figure if I don't sell them some day, my kids likely will when I'm dead and gone, so why let them have the extra cash when it could be used toward a new slk 350. I always pay cash for cars.
mrolucky

Postby nvmos2 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:39 pm

Nice collection!

A beautiful console model makes for nice furniture;
if I had one the wife might actually allow it in the living room.

I have a nice 777 Hightop; I notice that when we have company, that is the one that gets the most play;
the others are more conversation pieces.
It's actually one of my keepers; I bought it from Tony Mills himself and have the signed receipt; got back in 1977 when he had a small shop one block off the Las Vegas strip.

I think the Mills Melons are often underrated; I just never had the opportunity to get a nice one.
I really like them because they represent a significant step in slot history; the introduction of a new fruit symbol; and it's the watermelon of all things!
I often wondered what led Mills to do that.
It must have worked; they were in production for about 11 years, although you really don't see many of them.

I like to pay cash for cars too, but a slk 350? Wow; that's a lot of cash, and a lot of car too (and fine German engineering)!

EDIT: I don't know how I missed that the Peacock is a 25 cent machine: it's in the subject line for every post in this thread!
nvmos2

Postby mrolucky » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:56 pm

NV

Let me know if you get rid of the 777 with a receipt signed by Tony Mills. Yea the SLK is for my wife, trying to get her off the 350 and down to the new turbo charged 250, its abot 10k less. It's kind of been a habit of mine to try and sell a few things to cover the cost as I hate taking $$ out of the market. Although the way the market has run up of late, might not be a bad thing to do Sounds like you have a wealth of knowledge on slots and no doubt an interesting guy to chat with.

Where ya from?
mrolucky

PreviousNext

Return to Machines For Sale