Jennings Side Vendor and Little Duke

Have a machine for sale? List it here. List reproduction machines at your own risk!

Jennings Side Vendor and Little Duke

Postby MJFHouston » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:46 pm

A few years ago I located and obtained a Jennings Century Triple Jackpot machine from a family in Virginia. The machine was a basket case but in time I got the machine fixed up. I remember back then they told me they had another machine that also was in their families old country store but another relative had the machine. I left my information with the family if they were interested in parting with the machine then to let me know. A few years went by and I sent pictures of the Jennings Century to the family to show them what the machine now looks like and they asked me if I was still interested in the second machine that used to sit in their old country store.

To make a long story short. I purchased the machine which was a Jennings Penny Little Duke Triple Jackpot with side vendor. The machine definitely needed work but I was willing to try and take on the task. I think most of the members here know I try to keep my machines as original and dull as I can. I'm not into the shiny bright machines.

Well the machine arrived and UPS had done a number on it. The machine took a beating and now it is out of my league on fixing it up. I do not have the resources or skill to put this humpty dumpty back together again. It appears UPS dropped it on the gum vendor side and caused the bottom of the vendor to crack and cave in. The base plate also split completely across. The castings are perfect just dirty, the mech is a basket case which I knew that from the beginning but I was more interested in the side vendor. The machine has the original award card, no back door and no key for the vendor. The vendor has all of the levers needed. The cabinet needs work but is solid but the back portion of the base is missing.

It may sound confusing what I'm trying to explain but I've included a lot of pictures. There is nothing loose on the side vendor it is still solid but the metal is creased .The vendor is missing the small cover where the gumball comes out. I can send more pictures upon request.
I figured with most of the members here being extremely talented with restoring slot machines someone would be able to bring this machine back to beauty, it's just out of my expertise with slot machines.

I'm accepting offers for the whole machine, including the side vendor. I will not respond or entertain any ridiculous offers. May be willing to trade I love penny and 50 cent machines, original ones not fancy ones

007.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

013.JPG

012.JPG

Picture #3.JPG

018.JPG

Picture #4.JPG

021.JPG

Jennings Side Vendor 118.JPG

Jennings Side Vendor 120.JPG
MJFHouston

Re: Jennings Side Vendor and Little Duke

Postby Dave » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:49 pm

Rally sorry to hear about this.

Yet another machine destroyed by UPS.

FOLKS, NEVER EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, SHIP A MACHINE VIA UPS.

Was the machine packed well or just thrown in a box and handed off to UPS?

I hope the machine was insured and UPS covers it. I have heard horror stories about UPS refusing to cover an antique slot machine that they busted up.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby altort » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:33 pm

That is a rear shame. I have a welder that can do amassing work, are you looking to get it fixed or sell it?
altort

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:06 pm

Very sad.
UPS has destroyed many vintage guitars as well.
Many vintage guitar dealers clearly state in their ads in VINTAGE GUITAR Magazine : "UPS HAS BROKEN OUR LAST GUITAR". (in other words, they refuse to ship via ups)
They once lost an original 1950's Gibson Flying I sent to California.
They accepted the money for the insurance, but, refused to pay the claim as they stated their insurance covered damage... not loss.
I would not use UPS to ship a brick, as they would surely find a way to break it.
Midcoast Vintage

Postby terick2104 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:13 am

I have an unrestored, complete with original back door and cash box, large coin head single jackpot Little Duke. If you would be interested in some sort of trade contact me. - terick2@comcast.net
terick2104

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:13 am

MJF:
Sorry for the loss of your "Duke". It seems like UPS has a knack for dropping things at the right angle,
so as to destroy the most critical part, like an original Vender. I received a shipment via UPS, couple
of years ago, with a customers trade stimulator for restoration. The machine was bubble-wrapped,
placed into a box with good padding, and that box put into a larger one with more padding. When I
received it, there was no physical damage to the outside of the box, but when I opened the first box,
I noticed a small 2" outward dent that didn't punch through, and then another puncture on the inner
box, in the same area. The machine was the larger model "Sparks", with the star casting in front, that
had the coin entry which sits on top of the case. When I unwrapped the machine, I got my initial shock,
seeing the coin entry hammered down into the top casting, about an inch, breaking it all around. It
looked like someone had hit it with a sledge hammer. That package would have had to be slammed
with tremendous force on that flat side to do that. It didn't just drop out the door of the truck. Years
ago, UPS was usually my first choice in shipping machines, because they handled packages with more
care, than anyone else. NO MORE! I have heard horror story, after horror story, for the past couple of
years, just like the one with this unfortunate "Little Duke". They sure don't hire the same brand of
handlers any longer, when you see damage on a daily basis. There have been videos shown on TV, that
have been recorded from personal surveillance cameras, of drivers tossing all sizes of boxes, over a
fence, or stone wall. One was a crystal chandelier, that was in factory boxing, and it was smashed so
bad, it looked like it was dropped from a plane.

After all this sadness, I really don't feel right, asking you for the serial number for my files, but will
quietly ask anyway. It will be listed as "Damaged in shipment by UPS".
Thanks, Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby MJFHouston » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:33 am

Bill,

I've learned that there are just certain things in this world that I cannot control. I can try to prevent the best as possible but cannot control them.

I actually went back to UPS after I had a machine damage through fed ex. This is actually the third machine I've had damaged when having it shipped to me. The first was with UPS which they covered the claim. Then I started using Fed Ex and they damaged a machine in the middle of last year so I went back to UPS who now damaged this machine.

I have no problem with you asking for the serial number of the Little Duke. The number on the top of the cabinet matches that of the number on the decal inside the cabinet which is 15054.
MJFHouston

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:27 pm

MJFHouston wrote:Bill,

I've learned that there are just certain things in this world that I cannot control. I can try to prevent the best as possible but cannot control them.

I actually went back to UPS after I had a machine damage through fed ex. This is actually the third machine I've had damaged when having it shipped to me. The first was with UPS which they covered the claim. Then I started using Fed Ex and they damaged a machine in the middle of last year so I went back to UPS who now damaged this machine.

I have no problem with you asking for the serial number of the Little Duke. The number on the top of the cabinet matches that of the number on the decal inside the cabinet which is 15054.

Thanks for the serial.
At this point in time, I find FedEx to be a little better in the outcome of machine handling.
But strangely enough, I have had less problems with our good ole U.S.Postal Service, whom
in the past, had a knack for destroying most everything they came in contact with.
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby MJFHouston » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:53 pm

The Jennings Little Duke and side vendor are off to a new home. I'm sure the new owner will do a fantastic and incredible job to make her beautiful again

Thanks everyone
MJFHouston

Return to Machines For Sale