Watling Play Nickels

Have a machine for sale? List it here. List reproduction machines at your own risk!

Watling Play Nickels

Postby nvmos2 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:11 pm

This machine was recently listed in the Price Guide Referrals (above).

I contacted the seller and he sent some pictures, but has not responded to some questions I asked a couple days ago,
including price, location, and operation.

I am not familiar with this model, but it does not look quite right to me;
Marque looks out of proportion and sits too far forward.
The award card is based on adding up numbers, but I cannot make out any numbers on the wheel;
perhaps there were instructions on the open window in the bottom section;
appears there is something missing there.
It has 5 coin slots that look to be color coded, but there appears to be only 4 colors on the wheel.
Having the bottom of the wheel hidden from view looks a little odd.

Basically, it looks like it would be similar to the Fey Klondike.
At any rate, I have posted a couple of the photos below to see if anyone else has some thoughts on it.

IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2325.jpg
nvmos2

Re: Watling Play Nickels

Postby Richard13 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:17 pm

Yup same with me I think he's just playing around with us. It's a Mills color wheel from about turn of the century. It's missing three pieces of glass one that catches and holds the coins to view what was played,the lower outer glass that enhanced the view of those played coins and the top glass with the numbers reverse painted on it. Worth quite a bit complete but this guy either does not have it or is a scammer.
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:11 am

Hi Jim:
I have this same machine, with slight differences. I have extra gingerbread on the sides, a paneled back door, no marquee, or holes, that would
indicate one was ever there, no swivel-base, but there is a hole, and circular marks, where one once was. The center design on my color wheel
is different, and what was left of an award card, in the lower opening, with the center cut out to see the coin selector rack.

This machine is not Watling, as indicated on the incorrect award card, that has nothing to do with the 5 way color wheel, in a frame that may
have been added by an operator at one time, as it is the same frame that is on my Caille "Tiger", and found on other Caille cast iron models.
There are 5 colors on the wheel. Green, White, Yellow, Red, and Black. The 2 white stops are dirty, and blend in more with the yellow ones.
You can see the white selection on the lower rack. The partially hidden wheel, at the bottom is correct. There are several other wheel machines
that do not show the entire wheel.
The machine is also Not Mills. Dick Bueschel was doing research on mine years ago, but could not come up with a manufacturer. Although it was
found with two other Cowper machines, this one did not look like any other Cowper. It all got pushed aside, hoping that info would turn up some
day, just like many other unsolved 'mystery machines'. Now here's another, with no clue either. I also wrote the seller, to get more info, as to
whether the machine worked or not, but haven't heard anything as yet.
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby nvmos2 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:01 pm

Bill;

VERY interesting........
I am (obviously) not familiar with this machine;
I knew the award card was wrong, but beyond that, I was just guessing.
hope somebody here gets it; potentially a very nice machine!

Thanks for filling us in.
nvmos2

Postby Richard13 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:49 am

Here are more photos of this questionable machine, mysteriously sent to me early this am from another email address. Parts are marked Watling.
IMG_4740.JPG

IMG_4742.JPG

IMG_4743.JPG

And as usual no phone number no price no location no nuthin.
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Return to Machines For Sale