CASH BOX MODIFICATION

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

CASH BOX MODIFICATION

Postby shortrackskater » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:05 am

Hello everyone
I've posted a WTB cash box for my Jennings Mints of Quality. I've never heard anything so I'm assuming I may never find one.
However, I was able to use my small soldering iron and attempt to reconfigure the lid to make this existing box work. I need to do more extensive work on it and I think I can make it fit, but my little electronics iron isn't really sufficiently to melt the existing solder-welds.
Would something like a cheap 100 watt iron be better for this? And whats the best type of solder to use?
I think if I just move the lid and cut a new hole in the other side, I can make it work.
shortrackskater

Re: CASH BOX MODIFICATION

Postby RameGoom » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:28 pm

Original cash boxes were once tin-plated, but typically, the tin plating has worn off, leaving a dark, slightly rusty appearance which I believe is considered normal patina.

Get yourself a used Weller soldering gun. I believe the high setting is 200 watts:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weller-Solderi ... rk:13:pf:0

Use 50-50 solder/tin wire solder with brush-on flux. Once it's soldered, you can bead-blast the steel box and allow it to surface-rust with salt water spray mix to give it an authentic patina. Once the surface rust is formed, lightly scour with scotch-brite, then give it a satin clear-coat spray.

The soldered joints won't rust but the steel will, and it will look about as natural as an original coin box.
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Postby shortrackskater » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:58 pm

Thanks for that good information.
I feel like whacking myself in the head... I've done this too many times now. I HAD a Weller soldering gun exactly like that one from eBay and got rid of it about 5 years ago thinking "I'll never need this again." :x
shortrackskater

Postby shortrackskater » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:07 pm

Weller soldering gun on the way!! I should have it by Friday I hope.
shortrackskater

Postby shortrackskater » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:24 pm

And it's here! Cost $14. Old but looks like it was used maybe once. Now I need the solder. Next photo should be that of my modified cash can.
Attachments
IMG_6862 2.JPG
shortrackskater

Postby radiorich123 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:00 pm

You may need a torch if the iron is not hot enough.

Rich
REPAIRS ANTIQUE RADIOS AND COIN OPERATED MACHINES EMAIL
radiorich123@yahoo.com
WEB SIGHT www.technician.50megs.com
radiorich123

Postby MONTI » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:13 am

DON'T BE USING THAT THING ON CIRCUIT BOARDS! LOL
:lol: [-X :D
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby shortrackskater » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:51 am

MONTI wrote:DON'T BE USING THAT THING ON CIRCUIT BOARDS! LOL
:lol: [-X :D

Oh good lord! It would make them "fried circuits." !!! :lol:
shortrackskater

Postby shortrackskater » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:00 am

Here's my sort of finished box. I've never done metal work of any kind, so be gentle...
I was about to easily remove and re-solder with the Weller gun. It worked quite well actually. I have no tools to cut really so I just tin-snipped the hole to enlarge/expand it to the side so the chute lines up. I just folded the excess to the inside and squeezed it with my flat pliers, trying to make it look symmetrical as possible. Then I just soldered big lid back on and did the same with the hinged lid. I used my dremel tool and ground my solder lumps down. I removed the pull-out tab from the side and soldered it to the front.
I can't be a perfectionist with this so I'm happy with my work. This box was painted in kind of a flat olive drab so I'm going to shoot a coating of that back on and be done.
I'll add a painted-box picture in a few hours.
Attachments
IMG_6887.JPG
IMG_6888.JPG
IMG_6889.JPG
shortrackskater

Postby MONTI » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:24 am

You will probably never work with sheet metal again but I use a Klein Sheet metal nibbling tool for clean and straight cuts that are small and intricate to make and require a small tool to work with!
A Klein 76011B as shown below, well worth having in your tool box!
The design of the tool allows for nice straight cuts and producing a square cut corner in tight working areas!
Just a suggestion!
MONTI

KLEIN sheet metal nibbler tool.jpg
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Next

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions