Nickel plating resources

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Nickel plating resources

Postby JPCass » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:02 am

Where is a good place to ship nickel plating work, that really does original style Watts AKA "cold" nickel plating or something acceptably close, for those of us who haven't found a reliable local plater? (and maybe don't want to try to find one by trial and error!) My other issue with platers, is that the sloppy ones go too fast and heavy on the stripping and polishing, and take away some of the details and highlights of the original metal work.

Also, in the past I've used some home dip tank (1 gallon) and brush plating kits for various metals from a company called Caswell, that worked well for me. They make a nickel brush plating kit, and I'm planning on trying it on the machines I'm restoring right now, at least for small parts and places like the coin entry on an escalator, and to try to touch up slightly pitted original award card frames rather than send them out for a heavy re-doing. It will probably be a few months before I get around to that, but I'll try to remember to report back my results and experiences once I do.

Thanks,

JP
Restored Mills 5c Extraordinary "barn find", long gone - now restoring 1934 5c Extraordinary Gold Award with original World's Fair reel strips
Restoring early Mills 5c Firebird (large coin view window)
About to take on a Mills 5c Vest Pocket
JPCass

Re: Nickel plating resources

Postby JUKEMANLY » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:17 am

WE SEND ALL OF OUR PLATING ( CHROME, NICKEL, GOLD) TO CRAIG AT SPEED AND SPORT IN HOUSTON TEXAS ON BROADWAY STREET. WE HAVE BEEN USING HIM FOR OVER 10 PLUS YEARS. IT WILL BE SHOW QUALITY WHEN IT RETURNS. HE IS THE BEST WE HAVE FOUND THAT KNOWS AND CARES TO DO IT THE RIGHT WAY THE FIRST TIME. TERRY CLASSIC JUKEBOX AND GAME CO.L.L.C. WOODLAND PARK COLORADO :D
JUKEMANLY

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:01 am

The best plater i have found is SPACE COAST PLATING in melbourne, fl.
I have used them for years.
Here is a link to their website.
others from this site have used them, and been extremely satisfied.
They do all types of plating,
They are fast.
they are reasonably priced.
You won't be disappointed.
http://spacecoast-plating.com/
Midcoast Vintage

Postby doc » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:50 pm

Thanks to Midcoast Vintage, I tried Spacecoast Plating for re-chroming a Jennings casting. They were fast, efficient, and the lowest cost. Your "mileage may vary," but I had an excellent result with them.

Steven
doc

Postby Truchaos » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:17 am

I would recommend getting quotes from any of the plating companies you consider. While I'm not trying to argue with anyone here, I did find that Spacecoast was the most expensive of the quotes I received and they were more than $300 higher than the next company in line. Each company I considered had a good record with slot machines. Maybe it was just my job, or maybe not.
Truchaos

Postby The Slot Peddler » Tue May 12, 2015 10:56 am

I have been using a plater in Miami,Fla for 25 years ,he does very nice work in my opinion and is very reasonable about 30 for a Mills sword handle,7 for the collar he is an older Cuban guy Nick Hernandez from Nick Plating 535 N.W. 29 ST Miami Fl 33127 305-573-7656 tell him you were refd. by Richard from The Slot Peddler in Coral Springs Fl.I hand deliver to him and give him a Priority box prepaid and he ships back to me instead of me driving 50 miles back down to p/u
Richard Z
The Slot Peddler

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions