Brass Cash Register

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Brass Cash Register

Postby RameGoom » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:34 am

I restored a brass cash register, and needed to find a way to get down and dirty with the excessive tarnish on it. Hand-polishing was way too difficult. I tried several different polishes and cleaners with mixed results, but because of the ornate surfaces, found it very difficult to do it properly.
old.jpg

Finally, I used Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner (blue bottle) to strip the old tarnish off. Made the project a piece of cake. Caution should be taken as the blue stuff is acid and strips the metal to the shine in a hurry, but you have to wash and rinse the metal repeatedly. Oh, and wear gloves...!

After it was cleaned, I applied MAAS metal polish by hand. After each part was completely polished, I used an aerosol automotive clear coat on all surfaces. One single light coat did it. Here's the result.
cash_register_before_after.jpg
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Re: Brass Cash Register

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:38 pm

looks good!
Midcoast Vintage

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions