Little Duke question

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Little Duke question

Postby flipper77 » Fri May 15, 2015 7:54 am

Just picked up a rough Little Duke. The middle disc reel strip was missing (bad) but I found the pieces in the cabinet and believe that I can glue the pieces back on the disc to preserve the original strips. Any advice on what glue is best to reglue this paper back to the metal disc? Thanks - Flip.
Attachments
littleduke2d.JPG
flipper77

Re: Little Duke question

Postby mechanic » Fri May 15, 2015 5:05 pm

I would not try to reglue old strips when there are near perfect replacements available either through Dave Berten or Rick Frink.
mechanic

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Fri May 15, 2015 6:53 pm

They are also available on this website.
Available with or without fortunes, and in 1 cent and 5 cent denomination. $10 per set postpaid anywhere in the U.S.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3594
Midcoast Vintage

Postby flipper77 » Sat May 16, 2015 4:03 am

Thanks but going the original reel strip route first if I can carefully align and glue the two pieces of my second strip back on. Have been told that Duco Cement in a green tube works for these strips on the metal discs so let the forum know how it works out. I have been quite satisfied with Bill's strips/cards and Rick Frink's products. Rick Frink was very helpful on my previous project and I would highly recommend him.

Flip
Attachments
LittleDukeStrips2.JPG
flipper77

Postby kentdun » Sat May 16, 2015 5:26 am

Could you glue the pieces to another piet of paper then glue that to the reel?
kentdun

Postby doc » Sat May 16, 2015 6:15 am

Flip,

I am in a similar position with a Little Duke and "quite trashed" reel strips. I might replace them at some point, so please do post your results with the Duco Cement works. Anyone else have any other glue suggestions?

Anyone have tips on the easiest way to remove the existing strips?

Thanks,

Steven
Attachments
LittleDukeReelStrips.jpg
Little Duke - nasty reel strips
doc

Postby watlingboy » Sat May 16, 2015 6:47 am

I use contact cement or 3M spray adhesive for things like this, you will need to mask off the area with the spray. With both Contact Cement and the 3m spray you apply to both reel and strip I prefer these because these will hold the paper perfectly flat whereas the Duco is a slow dry and will not keep the paper flat if it has some warp to it. To use the 3M spray or contact cement, the alignment must be perfect when you touch the two pieces together because it sticks instantantly but it will hold and keep it perfectly flat.

Watlingboy.
watlingboy

Postby RameGoom » Sat May 16, 2015 6:49 am

I read somewhere that the glue they used was mucilage (like LePages) glue. Pretty sure that stuff is long gone, but there might be a substitute. I have a Little duke that had similar strip issues and used gorilla glue with a cue tip, which worked well for the loose paper.

The former owner used a few pieces of cellophane tape to hold them together, so there are a few lines where the dried-up tape was, but managed to keep the strips somewhat workable - and all original.
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Postby doc » Sat May 16, 2015 8:15 am

If you look at my picture a couple of postings above, you can see the strips are quite dirty (plus chunks missing and plus some cellophane tape). Any tips on how to clean the strips? It looks like lots of dirt and maybe some grease, too. What clean-up product might work?

My plan might be to clean the strips if possible and without any more damage. That leaves them original.

If that fails, then maybe I'll replace them.

Steven
doc

Postby flipper77 » Sat May 16, 2015 10:30 am

Thanks for all of the advice. Will post results and recommendations. Still a few days away from the glue step - have to get the mech running smoother. Sat in a garage for 20 years and just dusty and dirty and rusty. But going to try and keep all original.

Flip
flipper77

Next

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions