Little Duke question

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Re: Little Duke question

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sun May 17, 2015 2:43 am

flipper77:
Congrats on trying to keep your "Little Duke" as original as possible. Incidentally, I would like the serial number for my files. Just a couple of years ago,
I started compiling a photo file, of all the models & variations, along with serials. The info has been coming in at a slow pace, but fairly regularly. I do
need a photo with each serial, so that I can see what area the numbers changed with each variation. Even though it is best to have pix of unmolested,
original models, I still want to see them, even if they were repainted incorrect colors. The only drawback, are the ones that have been altered, like
adding an original or repro gum vender, to one that never came from the factory with one.
As far as the glue issue: I have been using 3M spray glue for many years, with excellent results. The key to good, long-lasting adhesion, is that both of
the surfaces are squeaky-clean. The discs should be free of any dirt, oil, or old strip residue. If re-gluing original strips, I use a carbon-Tet type solution,
which is no longer on the market, but the closest thing to it, is film & negative cleaning solution, which can be purchased at any camera & film supply.
You can also clean any dirt from the printed side of the strip, but go over it VEEERRRY Lightly. Do not rub hard, as you can take print off. The important
procedure, is to remove the reel disc bundle from the machine. The original strips are a 'doughnut', and not slit, so you can't install with the bundle on
the mech. I have seen repro strips that have been cut, so as to install the lazy way.
Good luck, Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby flipper77 » Sun May 17, 2015 6:01 am

Little Duke with side vender - 15859

Little Duke no vender - 17906
Attachments
aLittleDuke.JPG
littleduke2d.JPG
flipper77

Postby doc » Sun May 17, 2015 11:45 am

serial number 16364

Hey, Slot Dynasty, thanks for the tip on cleaning the printed strips and the reels.

Steven
Attachments
LittleDuke.jpg
doc

Postby oldpinguy » Sun May 17, 2015 6:49 pm

How about this these custom Duke strips. I suppose this may have been done as the only solution before repro strips were available ? Instead of replacing, I scanned the hand drawn symbols and Photoshopped a matching award card. Sort of keeping it "as found" :D
Attachments
LITTLE DUKE ARTISAN STRIPS.jpg
oldpinguy

Postby watlingboy » Sun May 17, 2015 7:28 pm

Because someone molested or modified a machine years ago, that is not, in my opinion, a good reason to leave it in "as found condition." Original finishes, strips and paper should always be saved whenever possible. When that is not possible, the machine should be returned as closely to original condition as you can.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby RameGoom » Sun May 17, 2015 8:21 pm

^^ That brings up a good point. Suppose you bought a machine from the 30's that was repainted or touched up, maybe 40 years ago, and the machine looks original but really isn't. Do you go ahead and repaint it to match what it should have been, even though the existing paint or polish on it looks very old, or could almost pass as original?

I have a Little Duke that I left as-is, as found, and the paint looks very original and untouched (except the colors on the side pillars seem to be reversed). But. When I added an original unrestored vender, I found I'd almost have to paint the vender to match the original paint, to make it consistent looking.

I left it alone, but it's one of those things that kind of bugs me, not being a match. It looks good, but a little touch-up wouldn't hurt the overall looks either.

Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Postby oldpinguy » Sun May 17, 2015 8:42 pm

Thanks Watlingboy. You are probably right and I do have the repro strips to replace them. Everything else is original including the cash box, and it apparently never was repainted. Just thought I'd leave it this way for a while, next to my other "correct" Little Duke. as an example of the measures earlier owners and "restorers" had to take before the age of legal slot collecting. and before repro parts and strips became readily available. I'm old enough to remember those days, and the first time someone told me of seeing a machine that had spinning disks, instead of reels, and how very rare that machine was supposed to be back then. Imagine trying to find replacement Duke reel strips back then for a machine that was supposedly rare and illegal to own. Bastardized, I agree, but a good effort for the times.
oldpinguy

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Mon May 18, 2015 2:54 am

oldpinguy wrote:How about this these custom Duke strips. I suppose this may have been done as the only solution before repro strips were available ? Instead of replacing, I scanned the hand drawn symbols and Photoshopped a matching award card. Sort of keeping it "as found" :D

I agree with watlingboy. Your strips should be replaced. There are times when a line should be drawn, when it comes to keeping
a machine as original as possible. The original strips were apparently destroyed many years ago, when repro's were not available,
and some semi-talented artist chose to make something presentable for the times. Not too bad, really, but what is supposed to be
oranges, looks more like giant strawberries. One thing I might suggest, is to remove them carefully, and frame them, to hang next
to your machine, as a cheering remembrance. :D
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby oldpinguy » Mon May 18, 2015 7:46 am

Excellent idea Bill. Will do. BTW Serial # 2046
oldpinguy

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue May 19, 2015 1:31 am

oldpinguy wrote:Excellent idea Bill. Will do. BTW Serial # 2046

Thanks for the serial, but I will need a pix of the machine for the file as well, so that I know what
configuration it is. For now, I am using the pix of your disk bundle, with the hand-painted symbols.
SLOT DYNASTY

PreviousNext

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions