Little Duke Decals - where? - both sides?

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Little Duke Decals - where? - both sides?

Postby doc » Wed May 27, 2015 6:53 am

Hi all,

I've recently acquire a Little Duke (thanks Dave!). It has had an older restoration. It has no decals at all. I've been searching for images to find the right place for a replacement decal (or two?). If you have a Little Duke, please let me know where the decal(s) should be placed.

Here are three pictures I've found on the net. (Click on each image to see the decals more clearly.) My Little Duke is a later model, like the one in the first two pictures.

The first picture has a decal on the right side below the handle. That looks good to me. Is that correct?
The second picture is of the same machine. It has a decal on the left side in the middle.
The third picture is of an earlier Little Duke. It has a decal on the left side near the top.

Should there be a decal on the left side? If so, where?

Thanks in advance,

Steven
Attachments
Jennings Little Duke - right side decal.jpg
decal on right side below handle
Jennings Little Duke - left side decal 2.jpg
decal on left side middle
Jennings Little Duke - left side decal 1.jpg
decal on left side top
Last edited by doc on Wed May 27, 2015 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
doc

Re: Little Duke Decals - where? - both sides?

Postby mrslot1 » Wed May 27, 2015 8:43 am

It usually takes 2 decals, one on both sides, I have them for sale feel free to email me at mrslot1@aol.com or you can buy them off my eBay user name (thunderfivefive)

thanks Dave B.
mrslot1

Postby doc » Wed May 27, 2015 9:25 am

mrslot1 wrote:It usually takes 2 decals, one on both sides, I have them for sale feel free to email me at mrslot1@aol.com or you can buy them off my eBay user name (thunderfivefive)

thanks Dave B.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info about one decal on each side.

I have the two decals ... that I just bought from you! Thanks also for duplicating my keys. Great job.

Steven
doc

Postby RameGoom » Wed May 27, 2015 6:49 pm

I'm not an expert on the machine but have a few thoughts.

Maybe the decal towards the top edge was put there on machines which were fitted with a side vender.

However, if you have a vender, there's only about an inch of wood visible above the vender top plate.

Thinking about it, possibly there was no decal on the left side of the Little Duke machines that came from the factory fitted with the vender. Every Little Duke I have seen without venders has a large hole on the left side for the vender trigger, and some sort of plug to fill in the hole. Hard to say though, whether the machines fitted with venders even have a decal under the vender.
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Thu May 28, 2015 1:28 am

Most "Little Dukes" have a decal on both sides. On the handle side, it is below the handle bushing,
just above the center carriage bolt head, as seen in the pix above. On the left side, it is also in the
middle of the side panel. They were even placed there when the machine had a side vender. Silly,
I know, but that's what they did. They don't belong at the top, as there is no room, if fitted with a vender.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby RameGoom » Thu May 28, 2015 5:52 am

Here's my Little Duke which had to have been re-sold by Rockola. Arrows show evidence of the original Jennings decals that had been removed.
jennings_emblems_rockola_placement.jpg
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Postby doc » Thu May 28, 2015 9:59 am

Thank you all for your help with these decal questions. That's a big help. You guys are great for sharing your expertise.

Steven
doc

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Fri May 29, 2015 8:31 am

Steven:
As an addition, here is a pix that one of our Forum members posted awhile back, showing a machine
that was damaged in a UPS shipment. This shows the original factory installed decal that was behind
the vender. Another thing: Make sure you use the correct decal, like the gold version shown here, as
there is also a Jennings decal with a yellow background.
Hope this helps, Bill
#15054 1c - triple JP - lg. head - knob handle (Damaged by UPS)1c.JPG
Original decal, shown on vender side of "Little Duke".
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby RameGoom » Fri May 29, 2015 10:01 am

Here's a Little Duke currently on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-Jennings-Little-Duke-Vintage-Penny-Slot-Machine-Working-No-Reserve-/351410646138?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51d1b4ec7a

It is missing the vender and a back cover. You can tell this machine had the vender because the trip mechanism is attached to the internal mechanism (I'm jealous, as I was looking for that exact part some time ago, and ended up fabricating a trip mechanism myself).

It appears someone removed the decal on the handle side, but there IS a decal up towards the top on the vender side. That would have been partly visible when the original vender was installed.
RameGoom

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:58 pm

As a follow-up to the "Little Duke" mentioned above, that sold on ebay, I just noticed in looking back at the photo lineup
that was posted, that there was something I hadn't noticed before. We did mention the fact, that the decal on the vender
side would have been mostly hidden, when the vender was originally in place. What I didn't see before, was the placement
of the decal on the handle side. It was installed all the way at the top as well, and only the bottom piece is showing. As I
mentioned earlier, "all of the decal placements on the two side panels, were always in the middle, regardless of having a
vender installed". The factory placement of the two decals on this machine, fall under the "Stupidity" category. I don't think
that Mr. Jennings would have approved of his machines leaving the factory like this. Maybe it was the workers last day on
the job, and he chose to be funny. The real shame about all this, is this machine is a real early production, in excellent
original condition, carrying a low serial of #1872. Too bad about the missing vender, as all the trip linkage is intact.

Here are the pix of the two sides.
With no sign of a decal ever being placed in the center of either side.

XX Jennings 1c 'Little Duke' (lg head sJP had Vender) (serial 1872)1c.JPG
This is the vender side, as mentioned before.

XX Jennings 1c 'Little Duke' (lg head sJP had Vender) (serial 1872)1b.JPG
Note the decal being cut-off by the top casting, just above the handle bushing.

XX Jennings 1c 'Little Duke' (lg head sJP had Vender) (serial 1872)1f.JPG
Here's a closer shot of the cut-off decal.
SLOT DYNASTY

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions