INSTRUCTIONS TO REPLACE VEST POCKET STRIPS

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

INSTRUCTIONS TO REPLACE VEST POCKET STRIPS

Postby brucesandercock » Wed May 27, 2015 9:35 pm

Would someone please provide instructions on replacing Vest Pocket Reel Strips. Saul and Geddes never got around to Vest Pockets. Are the Reels maeked as they are with QT's?
brucesandercock

Re: INSTRUCTIONS TO REPLACE VEST POCKET STRIPS

Postby TheFatman » Thu May 28, 2015 3:46 am

This is how I change the strips … only a suggestion for those who haven’t done them before.
What I do is to insert a nickel and start the wheels. I, at that time (before they start stopping) will place a paper towel around the clock to stop it from spinning and stop the reels. I use xylol or a strong solvent to dissolve the old glue after stripping as much of the old strips off I can. I am not saying this is the easiest but what I do is to use a dremel tool with a brass wire brush on the wheels. This works well if you’re used to using the tool, otherwise I just get most of the glue off of them. I use a little yellow contact cement on the wheels and attach the strips. You will notice a slit in each wheel. I first place the strip on it with a little bit bent over and into the slit. I adjust the first wheel strip so it is in place and allow the clock to spin just enough to stop that first wheel. Here you can adjust the strip and then apply the glue lightly. I push the strip down onto it and then lift it back up so the glue can get tacky. After about 30 seconds, I push it back down and it is stuck there. I don’t cover the whole wheel with glue but about an inch and then an inch space. There is a release arm that stops the wheels and you can slide it back to allow the wheel to spin. I do this until I get the strip all the way around back to that slit. I glue it down there and take an exacto knife and press down on the overhanging strip so the blade goes down into the slit. This cuts it off evenly and leaves a good edge. I do this for all 3 wheels. I hope this has been helpful and if you need more help… please feel free to ask.
TheFatman

Postby brucesandercock » Thu May 28, 2015 11:02 am

Thank you Fatman. Your method is not to remove the Wheels but rather remove the old strips in place. I have replaced strips on QT's, but I remove the Reels from the Mech, soak then in Carborator Cleaner, and then glue the new ones on. In the case of QT's the reels are marked and you can easily tell which strips go where. In the case of the Vest Pocket, are the reels marked so that if I clean them by soaking them as I do with QT's, will the reels be identified somehow so that I can use the right strips and replace the on the Mech?

Any other thoughts?
brucesandercock

Postby TheFatman » Thu May 28, 2015 12:39 pm

Each reel has a slot cut in them. This is the starting place for each strip. Make sure reel # 2 has the correct configuration because there is more than 1 strip that works. Send me a PM if you want me to provide you with my # and we can chat about it. I am in West Philly.
Dave F
TheFatman

Postby brucesandercock » Thu May 28, 2015 9:34 pm

What do you mean, send a "PM".
brucesandercock

Postby TheFatman » Fri May 29, 2015 4:04 am

Click on my name and it will take you to my info page and you can send a Personal Message to me so it isnt on the regular board.
Dave F
TheFatman

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions