Shuffle Alley Bowling Game

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Re: Shuffle Alley Bowling Game

Postby Impondering » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:26 am

Nice job! They bring back memories for me too.

Fourteen feet long! WOW!

They look great.
Impondering

Postby RameGoom » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:26 pm

Playing these machines for a while, one of the things that really bugs me is a ball return issue on the ball bowler. When the game ends, the whole machine shuts down. I would guess it was designed this way due to the potential for ball theft at its location.

My machine stores up to four balls at the top of the return, ready to use. When in play, the machine takes its time returning the ball in play, and when you get to the 10th frame, and bowl your last ball, the machine shuts off, keeping it inside the machine.

When you start a new game, after a few seconds, the ball finally comes out, several seconds after the lift motor starts up.

So, I rigged up a "Delay-On-Release" relay on the ball return lift motor. Now, when I finish the game, the timer runs the motor for about 10 seconds, returning the ball to the bowler, keeping all four balls in the top of the return at all times.

Stupid thing, but it was just one of those things I didn't like.
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:23 pm

The way you describe the operation of the ball holding, is the way that Bally designed it.
A friend of mine had one, and it worked the same way. Now that you've gone and altered
it, to have the rack full, I hope some kid passes by, and steals all your balls! HeeHee! :laughing8:
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby RameGoom » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:02 pm

Ha! I'd hate to lose my balls that way...! Bally gave it a lot of thought when they designed the machine for arcade use.

Home use, it makes total sense to leave them out, but routed, it would be a disaster leaving even one out of the machine.

I have a bad habit of re-inventing things.
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Previous

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions