25¢ Mills escalator questions

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

25¢ Mills escalator questions

Postby Rick-okc » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:31 pm

I'm working on a 25¢ Mills and can't seem to get the escalator working properly.
Apparently the previous owner had the same problems.
When I got the machine, the escalator had been modified to where only two coins were visible.
When the third coin was played the first coin would roll half way across the escalator and drop into the coin tube/cash box.
I've replaced the coin hold and advance bars and the coin chute bottom spacer. Now, its back to original.

It seems to work fine if I operate it by hand moving the coin advance bar lever.
As soon as I put the mech in and start playing, the quarters lose their spacing and start bunching up.
I know operators/collectors have had a lot of problems with this type of escalator in the past.
I was wondering if there are any common fixes or things to look at.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Rick
Rick-okc

Re: 25¢ Mills escalator questions

Postby oldslotman » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:50 pm

There is a spring on the coin advance bar operating lever. This lever is the one on the side of the mech that has the hook on the top that operates the escalator. The spring on the side of it called the coin advance bar operating lever spring may be weak and may need to be shortened a little. Most of the time just shortening one coil is enough. What is happening is that the escalator is not being advanced completely due to the weak spring. Tighten that spring up or try a different spring if you have one and that should solve your problem.
oldslotman

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions