Colummbia info?

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Colummbia info?

Postby randyjaco » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:55 pm

Are there any good restoration manuals or tapes on restoring a Columbia Bell? I downloaded some old manuals and sales info, but they are a little light on specifics.

I just picked up a 25 cent model for cheap. It is in pretty good cosmetic shape. The mech looks OK, but doesn't work properly. I hear that is the norm for Columbia's. That being said it is an unusual looking machine that I would like to get working.
Thanks
Randy
"There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box" (Frederick Douglass)
randyjaco

Re: Colummbia info?

Postby marsonion » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:49 pm

randyjaco wrote:Are there any good restoration manuals or tapes on restoring a Columbia Bell? I downloaded some old manuals and sales info, but they are a little light on specifics.

I just picked up a 25 cent model for cheap. It is in pretty good cosmetic shape. The mech looks OK, but doesn't work properly. I hear that is the norm for Columbia's. That being said it is an unusual looking machine that I would like to get working.
Thanks
Randy

Before you get smart-assed by a gang of anti-Columbia bigots, you might have a look at this article from the January 1982 issue of The Coin Slot. It has some very useful advice: pretty often Columbia problems are simple adjustment issues that few antique slot people know about, because it's such a different machine from the typical three-reeler. At any rate, "doesn't work properly" isn't much of a clue regarding your trouble. Could you be more specific--?

http://coinslot.arcade-museum.com/CoinS ... 1--083/56/
marsonion

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:38 pm

Gordy Nichol, from wayne, pa has some original owners manuals.
He is a straight shooter, so your dealings with him will be smooth and fair.
not sure if he is on this site, but he does sell on ebay.
here is a link to one of his listings:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5c-Large-Round- ... 3cfd92fe79
Midcoast Vintage

Postby randyjaco » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:55 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. At this point I don't even know what the problems are. I bought it and put it in my shop to attack later. I was just trying to assemble some information before I started the project. What I saw at the time was that feeding a coin in did not begin the process. The handle needed to be reset to spin the rotors and they stopped on their own rather than by a clock. It is going to need a good bit of work to get functional. The zinc parts seemed to be in good shape and free of cracks, but I won't really know until I take it a part. It sure would be nice to see a video of a machine working properly. But from what I hear, there aren't many of us who have 8^)

Randy
"There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box" (Frederick Douglass)
randyjaco

Postby TJ » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:40 am

The best way to work on a Columbia is to have a working example for reference, I have four of the little gems and they work great, play and pay as intended including a DeLux which is set up for quarter play. Sorry about the quality but see the pic.
Attachments
012.JPG
TJ

Postby randyjaco » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:03 pm

I wish I had that luxury. Right now I find I have a jam. The main cross shaft is jammed and I am trying to figure out how to release it. The manuals I have aren't much help 8^(

Randy
randyjaco

Postby TJ » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:46 am

A slight disclaimer not being able to put hands and eyes on your machine here are a few things to look at. By your description I believe your machine is wound up ie. a coin went in and the handle was pulled this winds up the mechanism. Now a few things can cause a jam but the most likely is the assembly that handles the coin. The small carousel at the coin entry can be a problem and the main carousel that stores the played coins can be suspect. If you look under the main carousel you will find levers that interact with the teeth on the under side, by releasing the levers you might get a partial freeing up but be aware that you might also get the payout out of adjustment. Another cause is simply dried up and hardened lubricant. Columbias are unique in design and a challenge to get and keep working which contributes to their unsavory reputation. Please let me know how things work out for you.
TJ

Postby randyjaco » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:31 pm

Will a Columbia run with out coins? Or are they necessary to make things function?

Randy
randyjaco

Postby marsonion » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:16 pm

randyjaco wrote:I wish I had that luxury. Right now I find I have a jam. The main cross shaft is jammed and I am trying to figure out how to release it. The manuals I have aren't much help 8^(

Randy

1) Remove the (removable!) cover plate and clear any coins jammed between the rotary-turret escalator and the coin carousel. This is the most frequent site for coin jams caused by maladjustment of the carousel advance and other settings listed in the Coin Slot article.

2) Push the indicated notched lever forward to release the mechanism.

3) If the mechanism does not return, find the little ratchet pawl to the main shaft and release it to bring the cycle back to start position. From there, watch the mechanism action closely while pulling the handle to find exactly where it jams, and take whatever corrective action is necessary.
Attachments
StuckIllustr.jpg
marsonion

Postby marsonion » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:23 pm

randyjaco wrote:Will a Columbia run with out coins? Or are they necessary to make things function?

Randy

Yes. Hold back the coin detector probe indicated and you should be able to cycle the mechanism without a coin.
Attachments
CoinDetectorProbe.jpg
marsonion

Next

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions