Groetchen Pikes Peak cash drawer key type?

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Groetchen Pikes Peak cash drawer key type?

Postby DirtFlipper » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:24 am

Anyone happen to know what brand/type of key the cash drawer uses on a Groetchen Pikes Peak? Looks like it was a double-bitted key, but none of my older style keys even come close to fitting. Looks like there's a key number on the wood next to the lock ('288'), so I was thinking maybe if I new what the key looked like, or what brand it was, I might be able to come up with something that worked before resorting to drilling it out.

Thanks.
DirtFlipper

Re: Groetchen Pikes Peak cash drawer key type?

Postby altort » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:52 am

Hi dirtflipper

If they are the original locks dont drill them out, take them to a lock smith to have them opened, my pikes peak original lock for the cash drawer is an Illinois lock they are a simple wafer lock just need to find the key blank, worst case is that you find an Illinois key and re key your lock.
altort

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:01 pm

I don't have a "Pikes Peak" any longer, to look and see what type of lock was used, but if you can post
a pix of it here, it might help. Usually a key number is stamped on the face of some brand locks. The
number stamped into the wood, is usually a machine serial number, or an operator, or location number.
If there was a number stamped on the face of the lock, and I knew what brand it was, I could look in my
key stock to see if I had that number, and could have a copy made for you. But many times it's just not
that easy. I hate to drill out original locks, but your next best bet is to take the machine to a locksmith,
being as it is small enough to transport, and have them pick it open. By all means, DO NOT leave your
machine there, as you never know what could be inside, if you know what I mean. :shock:
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby DirtFlipper » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:01 pm

I have several Illinois Lock keys, but non of the grooves seem to line up with this one. It's the original lock as AFAIK, and the cash drawer sounds like it's full of coins still.

I suppose I could take it to a locksmith. I was hoping to avoid that expense though. :wink:

There's no code on the lock itself, but has both a stamped and a written number next to it. I figure one of them is the key number.

Here's a pic.
IMG_2820.JPG
Pikes Peak cash drawer lock
DirtFlipper

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions