Daval Knob renoval

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Daval Knob renoval

Postby mrblatzman » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:30 am

I have a Daval Heads or Tails..It has a bakelite knob that has to be removed before the mechanism can be removed from the cabinet...This is the only machine from this time period that I have so I am unfamiliar as to how this is fastened...My problem is this...The set screw that holds the knob to the flat shaft has broken off even with the flat shaft..I need to drill and easyout the remains...I would like to know if the set screw just wedges against the flat shaft or goes all the way thru it..This would be helpful to know how deep to drill...Thankyou for any and all help/advice...Bob Reno in Alabama
mrblatzman

Re: Daval Knob renoval

Postby J Ainsworth » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:45 pm

hello,
Sorry to say the threaded grub screw goes right through the flat blade. Best of luck drilling it out
Regards John.
J Ainsworth

Re: Daval Knob renoval

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:58 am

Bob:
Lots-O-Luck! I had this same problem a few years ago with a "Jiffy", which is the same basic machine, with different reel strips and award card.
Why Daval chose to use such a small slotted set screw is beyond me. When they get frozen from age, the head breaks while trying to remove it.
From having this problem before, and if the screw has a good head, I will now drop penetrating oil into the hole, at about three different sessions,
and let it work it's magic. But that is not always a cure-all, if the screw is froze too tight. Drilling it out is a real tedious job, and has to be done
by securing the entire machine, and then the knob itself, in a jig set up on a drill press, as you DO NOT want the drill to travel sideways, and chip
the knob, much less break it. When you do get it out, (I hope safely), do not replace with a slot-head screw. I know it's steering away from being
original, but I always replace with an allen-head setscrew. Those are much easier to remove, and it won't hurt to put a dab of thread-ease on the
tip, before inserting.
I did a "Heads or Tails" restoration for a customer, a year or so ago, and luckily the screw was not as frozen as most. I also have one of my own,
that half of the head is broke off, and I can't get out. I was never in a hurry to drill it, as the machine is a real nice original, and works fine, with
just a few chips in the paint, so not a candidate for restoration. If you have the guts to tackle it, let us know how it turns out.
Bill

P.S. What is the serial number on yours, and what color is the case? Most were hammer brown.
SLOT DYNASTY

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions