plastic between the glass

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Re: plastic between the glass

Postby mrslot1 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:15 am

I sell glass for the slots, I have dimensions for practically every machine! I sell it in sets of 2 single pane, with out the acetate that you usually find between the glass, the reason they put the acetate between the glass was so if someone tried to break into the slot, the acetate would slow them down,

mrslot1@aol.com
thanks Dave
mrslot1

Postby RameGoom » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:11 am

^^ There you have it, MrSlot made to order, no guesswork. My vote!
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Re: Re:Slot Glass

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:34 pm

alanb wrote:I am looking to replace the glass in a Jennings Victory Chief 25c.
2 of the three are cracked. All 3 had the 2 pieces of glass with a piece of plastic between.
I had also wondered about why that plastic was there and happy to learn why it was there, above.
What would I expect to pay approximately for the 3 pieces of glass?

Thanks for helping out a newbie. This is my first machine that I got passed to me last year from family. I have been reading all posts for a few months and really appreciate the knowledge here and the assistance provided to others.
I am learning a lot just reading others posts and responses.

Hi Alan:
Welcome to our Forum, and thanks for sharing your first machine, and story about it being handed down
through your family. These are the stories I like to hear, and often do not stay with future generations,
and get sold. You have a very desirable model, of which there are not a large number of surviving examples.
It is in incredible condition, probably due to not being on location for long. This is definitely 'a keeper', and
all I would do, is clean it up a bit, and replace the broken glass. The condition of the paint is in excellent
condition, given it's age. What scuff marks that are in the paint, only add character. As for the glass you
need, it is best to purchase from (mrslot1@aol.com). By all means do not get single pane window glass cut
at any shop, as that is not very strong, and can crack or shatter very easily, if you tighten the holding tabs
too tight. There are sometimes a small imperfection in the casting where the glass rests, that can crack the
glass as well. Good luck with your machine. Hope everything turns out well, and we will look forward to seeing
pix of your finished product, which shouldn't be too much different than what we see above.
Being a Newbie in this hobby is a good thing, especially since you found this Forum. Besides all the off-the-wall
chit-chat, and BS that goes on here, one of our main objectives is to help one another will all phases of coin-op.
Cheers, Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby JPCass » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:51 pm

First, I think that Dave is right about the purpose of the acetate (or other layering) being to discourage theft, making the glass harder to break through than if it were only a single sheet.

That said, I think the acetate - or a similar material - which I have found in between layers of glass on the Mills machines I've worked on, may be a later replacement for original bonded layered glass. My early 1934 Mills Extraordinary had a long disabled and painted-over Gold Award token vender, and when I removed the paint from the glass, it was brown and almost opaque because the material used to bond the two layers of glass had deteriorated over time to the color of old varnish (it may even have been a varnish, originally); if that was what the material did eventually, operators would have had to have replaced the factory glass, and maybe took shortcuts when they did. The escalator window on my machine, however, had two extra-thin layers of glass with yellowed acetate between them, old but perhaps not original.

If I recall, the recesses and brackets for glass were designed to take very thick multi-layered glass, so you have to double up replacement glass to get a good fit, and even then a bit of shimming with thin cardboard (which I have found remnants of in old machines) may be necessary to keep the glass from rattling. The extra-thin glass sometimes used in layering, is not normally carried by hardware stores, and requires a trip to a specialty glass shop. The acetate layer may not be necessary, but you can get the material (or similar plastic sheeting) from craft and hobby stores and suppliers if you want imitate that; if you want to get the look of age, you can try applying something like amber or orange shellac to one of the layers, or even use that as the bonding agent between glass layers.
Restored Mills 5c Extraordinary "barn find", long gone - now restoring 1934 5c Extraordinary Gold Award with original World's Fair reel strips
Restoring early Mills 5c Firebird (large coin view window)
About to take on a Mills 5c Vest Pocket
JPCass

Postby watlingboy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:11 pm

JP,

I think the answer to your questions are posted earlier in this thread. Laminated safety glass was used in slot machines for security purposes. Watling and some Pace machines use wire glass in the jackpots instead of laminated safety glass. The laminated safety glass deteriorates in three different ways, sometimes the plastic crumbles and turns brown, sometimes it turns a milky white and sometimes it just dries out leaving the plastic sheets intact but separated from the glass. It was once bonded or laminated to the glass. The intact sheets seem to happen more in Mills machines than other manufactureres. Different companies made the glass and different formulas were used for the plastic and it broke down in different ways. Just throw the plastic away, clean the glass and put it back in. Fear of someone breaking into the machine is no longer an issue. When new the glass was clear and never had an amber cast to it.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby marylandcnc » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:41 am

Great post thanks[url]pushinprizes.com[/url]
marylandcnc

Previous

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions