plastic between the glass

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

plastic between the glass

Postby leospanner » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:53 pm

Hello
I was hoping some one here could answer a question about the plastic that was used between the glass on most mills machines. I have a high-top down and am redoing it, but the plastic between the glass was completely bubbled and not usable. First, is it necessary to even have the plastic there? I kind of suppose so, otherwise why would they have put it there in the first place. It seems a little thicker than most of the sheets I can seem to find, so I was hoping that someone here could point me in the direction of where to get it, and if there's any special tricks to using it? Thanks for any and all help.

Leo
leospanner

Re: plastic between the glass

Postby oldslotman » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:55 pm

That piece of plastic that you are talking is part of what was once laminated glass. The two pieces of glass have separated leaving that piece of plastic. It is not needed. You can still use the two pieces of glass without the plastic or you can have a new piece of glass cut the same thickness as the two pieces of glass together.
oldslotman

Postby RameGoom » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:47 am

I've had that happen on two different machines I have. I believe it's the only plastic ever used on any of those machines, with every other component being metal or wood.

I separated the two pieces of glass and put in a layer of clear plastic, which then maintained the same dimensional thickness, then put them back in operation.

That no doubt goes back to the early days of plastic use. Apparently they didn't have the formula exactly right.

I wonder if they used the same stuff on car windshields in those days....
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Postby watlingboy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:39 am

Yes, it is the same laminated safety glass that was used on all car windows until tempered glass was developed. The old glass would separate as you have described, it also would also sometimes turn brown or white and cloudy. All windshields in the US are still laminated safety glass but they have perfected the process and it no longer has these problems.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Replace Glass?

Postby alanb » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:55 am

What is a good source for glass to replace cracked glass?
alanb

Postby kentdun » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:18 am

I think some one here must have some.
In the past I have found pieces on eBay. All precut.
kentdun

Postby watlingboy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:31 am

Jack Brink of Metal Form Products, 818-764-2680, used to sell complete glass kits for various machines. I don't think these are available anymore but you can check. Mr. Slot might sell glass kits, otherwise any glass shop can cut you whatever you need. You can still have laminated safety glass cut but the cost would be more than, I think, most people want to pay and serves no purpose since no one will be trying to break into your machines.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby RameGoom » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:39 am

I have a local glass shop that can work from a cardboard template. I bring the template in, and specify thickness, usually 3/16" or 1/4". They use ordinary window pane, works well. So, I always have two or three of each, spares, though I'll never use them unless I get another similar machine.
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Re:Slot Glass

Postby alanb » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:31 am

I am looking to replace the glass in a Jennings Victory Chief 25c.
2 of the three are cracked. All 3 had the 2 pieces of glass with a piece of plastic between.
I had also wondered about why that plastic was there and happy to learn why it was there, above.
What would I expect to pay approximately for the 3 pieces of glass?

Thanks for helping out a newbie. This is my first machine that I got passed to me last year from family. I have been reading all posts for a few months and really appreciate the knowledge here and the assistance provided to others.
I am learning a lot just reading others posts and responses.
Attachments
MySlotA.jpg
alanb

Postby RameGoom » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:09 am

Bring all three pieces to your local glass shop (mirrors, windows installation) and have them copied. Don't tell them the glass goes on an antique, tell them instead that they're "sight glass" pieces for equipment - otherwise the price escalates. Ask for the same thickness, no need to be tempered.

And definitely ask them to wet-sand all sharp edges. It shouldn't cost more than $15 for the largest piece, and less for smaller pieces.
RameGoom

Next

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions