Old Aristocrat stuck arm

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Re: Old Aristocrat stuck arm

Postby oliver4116 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:53 pm

yay great news i dont know why but i moved that white roller, how i exactly did it i dont know but the handle returned to the upright position and i can now pull the mech straight out, of course it isnt working yet but thats a great step so thanks very much

I will post another video to youtube in a few hours to show you the latest, but am getting somewhere very happy thanks
oliver4116

Postby oliver4116 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:34 am

Here is another video sorry for the extreme close ups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEMC_-O4Ag4

and one more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcwr0pAIUBs

i think i said in the previous note, i point my finger at that piece of metal that should be up but its down so dont know why that is, i am hoping it a easy reset or something, but to be honest i am hopeless with mechanics, lol
oliver4116

Postby mechanic » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:19 am

GREAT !!!!! DONT PUT THE MECH BACK INTO THE CABINET UNTIL AFTER YOU DO THE CHECKING AS YOU MAY HAVE IT STUCK IN THE CABINET AGAIN. Check for any coins in the mech before doing the next step. Next step you will need a flat blade screw driver. put it on top of the white bearing and under the flat arm with the tip of the screw driver as best you can. There's that silver tab which looks to be bent, that is a release lever to free play the machine. You should be able to push down on the tab and at the same time push down on the screw driver. Carefull the tip may skip off the flat lever. It does it a lot to me even today. Once you here it ratchet you can push down on the screw driver till it cycles or jams up again. If it runs through the cycle then start putting in coins and repeat the process until the escalator kicks its first coin into the tube. Be sure the handle is upright and put the mech back in and run some coins through. If it jams it may be in the escalator unit. Tell you about that if it is later. Happy for you!! Jim
mechanic

Postby oliver4116 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:42 pm

Thanks so much for all the instructions i am very hopeful now i can get it going, its at my parents house so i am on my way there to see how it all goes, will definetely post on here to let you know how it is all going

So very happy thanks so much for everything so far
cheers
John
oliver4116

Postby oliver4116 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:47 am

Hi again more trouble with the old Aristocrat unfortunately, i wasnt sure if the screwdriver you mentioned was in the right place so took a photo

With using the screwdriver in that place, it did ratchet a few times them nothing happened, not sure what was meant to happen, but the metal piece will go to the top but as soon as you relax the screwdriver it goes back down IE i dont know if it should lock at the top, and its seems almost impossible to put more pressure on that screwdriver as the piece that is being levered wont go up anymore. Then again i could be doing everything wrong

I unfortunately am not very mechanically minded, so hopefully you can put up with me and let me know what to do next, or even if i am on the right track

There is another short video as well that i took as when i put the mech back inside the machine just to see how it fitted, the arm now is not contacting anything as you will see from the video, its all probably very simple in the end just have to get my hear around it like an idiots guide, lol

https://youtu.be/wCnzEVZ6wJ0
Attachments
IMG_0873.JPG
As you can see the metal piece is moved to the middle metal piece will now stay in that position it will move to the top with the levered screwdriver but wont stay there
IMG_0872.JPG
Hopefully this is what you meant, it the screwdriver slips of completely sometimes very difficult
oliver4116

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:09 am

Oliver:
I have had a couple of Aristocrat machines several years ago, but am not at all familiar with the workings
any longer, but just looking at your series of photos & videos, I would say that it appears to me, that your
biggest problem is in the main actuating assembly, with the nylon wheel at the end, that you are trying to
operate with the screwdriver. That wheel should be up much higher, when the mechanism is at rest, which
will keep your handle in it's upright position. Something is jammed within that assembly, and it could very
well be a coin or two. Many dime play machines are notorious for coin-jambs. I know something is hung-up
there, because in one of your videos, I notice that part # 143 27, with the 'L'-shaped hole, the lever that is
protruding through the hole, is in the center. That lever should be touching the front end of the 'L' opening,
and the small notch at the bottom should be in contact with the pin of the main forward lever, when the
handle is in the upright position. Something is definitely keeping that entire assembly from returning to its
required stop. Once that is achieved, the lever that pushes the coin down in the escalator, should also go
to its UP position. Don't be trying to pry it up with anything, as you will surely break something. Start by
shining a flashlight all around on the backside, and the inside of that main assembly, and hopefully you will
be telling us that you found the problem. Good luck.
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby mechanic » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:38 pm

Looks like the tip of the screw driver is too low, it should rest on the bottom of the screw or the flat lever that the screw attaches to. As Bill mentioned do not try to pry down too hard as it should operate smoothly. Worse case take a rag and put it over the white bearing and see if you can just push it down with your hand, if not jammed it should go. Hold the top of the machine for leverage so you dont hurt yourself. We will get it. Later Jim
mechanic

Postby aristocrat » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:33 am

whilst you are cycling the mechanism it may be better to remove the small drop down bar
situated at 1 o'clock just above the rotary section where the coins move around in normal
play.

otherwise this arm as there are no coins being played will keep falling into one of the slots cut into the rear rotary plate.

You can see in your last pixi it is sat in one of the slots currently. otherwise this will continually jam the mechanism and

Stop you cycling the machine.

You don't need this part fitted to play the machine, as with lots of slots there are many built in parts not required for home
use that can cause you issues when trying to use the machine without coins.
aristocrat

Postby oliver4116 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:03 am

Really good news, i pushed down on that white bearing like was suggested, it worked went down cycled then popped back up to its normal position, the metal piece that pushes the coin down is now up before it was down, i cycled it a few times it went through the motions then a audible clunk at the end (my 5 Cent machine makes that clunk also, when cycled the coin spinner moves and it all looks good

One thing that may be a problem when it was cycling the reels did not move, but it does not seem to be jammed any more

What should i do now i am not sure, i didnt want to jump ahead and put it back into the machine without any advice.

Thanks to everybody that has helped me, just wait what to do next now
cheers
oliver4116

Postby mechanic » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:47 am

Congrats!!!! Check my Fri post for what to do next, you will need to cycle the machine without coins first 6-7 times to be sure nothing is wrong with the mech. Then run coins in the escalator 6-7 times to be sure the escalator is running free. If no problems out of the cabinet then put the mech back and repeat the same process. If it does not jam up we are done.
mechanic

PreviousNext

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions