Mills Locks - Experts Chime In

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Mills Locks - Experts Chime In

Postby RameGoom » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:44 pm

Help!
I have a wiggle key Mills lock that I wanted to use to replace a hogged-out lock I have on a Poinsettia machine. After comparing the two, I see two different offsets and heights. The new lock won't fit properly because of the "backset" and length. Anyone know why there are two different styles, and what the shorter style is used on? Won't work on my Mills, but I managed to make a Mosler lockset work in this machine by removing some steel on the back cover to fit the lock assembly.

Now I'm confused. Anyone know what this shorty lock is used on?
locks.jpg
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Re: Mills Locks - Experts Chime In

Postby atac » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:10 pm

The shorter one with the lower set cylinder was used on Mills consoles on the lower back door. I don't think the roached out one is really proper for a poinsettia. Typically Yale locks would have been on a Poinsettia up until around 1930, then the proprietary Mills locks started showing up. I have some from the early 1930's--with the brass block riveted on as opposed to the chrome one you have that's peen'd into the lock base and was used on hightops. Check my posts for a picture of the other Mills lock--and PM me if you want to buy one of those--I'm in Denver so we can figure it out.
atac

Re: Mills Locks - Experts Chime In

Postby atac » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:15 pm

Found the picture of the early 30's Mills lock...
Attachments
mills lock.jpg
mills lock.jpg (35.27 KiB) Viewed 2164 times
atac

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions