Old Aristocrat stuck arm continued

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Re: Old Aristocrat stuck arm continued

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:27 am

mechanic wrote:Its been running close to 15-20*C here for over a week. Not bad for this time of year. Have you had a chance to do any more checking? I will not be around the remainder of the year, family first. I will be back in Jan. Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!!!!!! TTYL JIM

Have a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year as well, and don't forget to share your Wonka Bars with all the family.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby oliver4116 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:38 am

Hi Jim thought i would get in early and leave something for you when you get back from holidays, well i managed to get to those lights so simple actually.

And by the Video i learnt that there are 4 lights in all the bulb for the reserve is gone, same with the slot 22 light, but the bulbs for the insert coin and play now bulbs are there, they were working before those 2 lights when i first started looking in to this old machine.

Anyhow by the video i am pointing to these metal tabs on the lights or trying to, i am guessing they were the metal tabs you were talking about testing, i have bought a multimeter so much stuff and dials on it i am confused looking at it, lol

Oh also as by the photo the reserve now button is gone, should show you a clear image of that in the photo (god knows how to fix that). So i am not sure what to do next i guess it is good news to get to those lights, if i have to use that multimeter i may have to post a photo of it as so much dials on there i wouldnt know what i am doing, well anyway here is the video and the photo hope you are having a good break and speak to you when you are back
cheers

https://youtu.be/oiSeUHX-AKA
Attachments
IMG_0965.JPG
oliver4116

Postby mechanic » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:23 pm

Hi Oliver Still out of town !! Back after New Year. Happy New Year to you. The VOM setting is an inverted U, the setting does not matter 200-2,000-20,000 set it up then touch the two leads together it should go to 0 zero or very close it should not do that when you test the tabs on the light sockets if it does then the socket is bad. Do not test them with the machine plugged into the wall. It could be a shocking experience !!!!!! TTYL Jim
mechanic

Postby oliver4116 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:38 pm

Hi i wasnt expecting a response till you got back so thanks for that, we have 10 hours to new years here, yay anyhow hope you have a good one, 35 here today good beer weather to see in the new year

Well i think i have the multimeter set up properly just wanted to check with you, the pic is pretty good. I think have the dial in the right place, but there are 3 sockets down the bottom so i am not sure what sockets the black and red go into, having that extra socket confused me, lol

anyhow no hurry when ever you can get to it when you get home

cheers
Attachments
IMG_0969.JPG
oliver4116

Postby mechanic » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:09 pm

Oliver just hit midnight here 24 more hrs to go. The black lead goes in the middle and the red on the right. Turn it on and touch the two together. put the dial at 200k. You should get a reading which will be the same if you have a short. HAPPY NEW YEAR.
mechanic

Postby oliver4116 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:49 pm

Yay great news i got a reading of 0.00 hopefully that is the reading i was meant to get i did it quite a few times just to make sure, so onwards to the machine

Just got to recall plug out of wall
Light bulbs out

Well off to have a well earned beer, was great to get that multimeter sorted thanks much again
cheers
oliver4116

Postby oliver4116 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:58 am

well happy new year all

I finally tested the metal tabs with the Multimeter, it is a bit of a finicky thing to do as the wire moves just hard to get the points of the multimeter on the tab, i could have got someone to hold the wire but didnt want to do that in case it affected the reading.

So anyhow with the 2 points of the multimeter on the metal tabs (I guess both the red and the black lead go on the tab), all 4 of the light tabs came up with 0.00, so i am guessing that the problem is there, dont know if there is anything i can do to double test it but i did do it a few times and the reading was still the same for all four at 0.00, to make sure the tabs i tested are shown in that video a few posts previous

I should mention to that the power was off, the bulbs removed

So anyhow i have absolutely no idea what to do next, which is pretty common for me, lol

Welcome to 2016
oliver4116

Postby mechanic » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:27 pm

Hi Oliver happy new year !!! Read your post, it sounds like you put both leads on the same tab which is not correct if you did. Put one lead to the center pin and the other to the side of the socket being sure the leads do not touch each other or the other parts of the socket . If there is no short your reading will stay the same. If there is short the reading will go to zero. Do it to each socket. Before we get too far along also get all new bulbs for the sockets as I remember some will cause a short when the burn out. This will save doing more probing if it's just a bad bulb. TTYL Jim
mechanic

Postby oliver4116 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:33 pm

Hi Jim i am going to start a new thread again, lol but this one is getting large again, calling the new thread aristocrat elec probs, have a question or two for you on there
cheers
oliver4116

Previous

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions