Old Aristocrat stuck arm continued

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Re: Old Aristocrat stuck arm continued

Postby oliver4116 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:20 pm

Hi everyone, a big thanks to everyone that helped to get the mechanics of the machine in order

I do need a bit more advice though, the electrics while all or most of the lights work, there must be a problem with the hopper if anyone can help me with fault finding that be a great help, at the moment if you get a win, there is no sign of life with the hopper none at all, so i dont really know what is going on there, i would have assumed it would make a noise at least.

Also with the electronics of this do you think that a standard electrician would be able to fault find this, i would think so as its from 1970,s but i am not sure

Anyhow thanks in advance
cheers
oliver4116

Postby mechanic » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:01 pm

Hello Again Oliver I agree with your conclusion an Electrician should be able to check the mech for shorts, broken wires and / or chassis grounds. Being a Master Electrician myself it is not a hard thing to do. If you want to do it you will need a VOM (Volt Ohm Meter) to check for continuity or grounding. A good hardware store should have them cheap or try to find a cheap electrician in your area. If you need further assistance text me back. TTYL A+ Jim
mechanic

Postby oliver4116 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:12 pm

Hi Again Jim, thanks for getting back to me, with the electrical problems i am happy to buy one of those voltmeters but probably need some help in using it, My slot was made in 1979 so the electrics are probably very basic compared to new machines.

There are 2 problems starting with the insert coin and play now lights, the were working but i may have done something when i put the mechanics back into the machine, i did notice that the little metal piece that when a coin is put in lights up the insert coin and when you insert a coin, it changes to play now well that was a very touchy little piece, in fact when it was working the coin would activate play now, sometimes it did sometimes it didnt, so i am wondering if the problem is there somewhere, if it helps i can take pictures of that piece of metal as it could be touching something that its not meant to, anyhow that was working now its not, blows the fuse up top, fuse 5 to be exact. Actually i went through a lot of fuses so far, lol

And the other problem is there is no sign of life from the hopper down below, i spun up 3 kings, nope nothing unfortunately, i can buy that machine take photo,s whatever you think

Would love to get the lights working first (play now insert coin) as i dont think that is a big issue as it was working, well anyhow thanks for your continued support been a great help
cheers
oliver4116

Postby mechanic » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:33 pm

OLIVER SORRY FOR THE DELAY IN RESPONDING I'VE BEEN BUSY WRAPPING UP JOBS BEFORE CHRISTMAS. FIRST BE SURE ALL THE FUSE ARE THE SAME LENGTH. SHORT FUSE WILL NOT MAKE CONTACT IN THE CIRCUIT. SEND THE PIC OF THE BOTTOM OF THE SOCKET FOR THE INSERT COIN AND PLAY NOW LIGHTS. BEST CLOSE UP YOU CAN TAKE WE GO FROM THERE. JIM
mechanic

Postby oliver4116 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:37 am

Hi Jim thanks for getting back, and dont worry about getting back to me during this period, i had to go out today and the Christmas crazy shopping has started, dont think i am going anywhere near a shopping centry till after New Year.

Anyhow i took a few pictures (hopefully i took the right ones)

Oh i dont know if i mentioned it before but before i started pulling the mech in and out the lights were okay, so since then it started to blow fuses and knowing me i probably disturbed something hopefully minor, all rest of lights work just those two.

I checked the fuse length and thats okay just when you put power on the fuse blows instantly

okay photo time
Attachments
IMG_0920.JPG
this one shows power but those 2 lights are out
oliver4116

Postby oliver4116 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:16 am

Messed up sorry here are the rest of the photographs

I should tell you to the front of the machine where that little metal piece is around there somewhere and i am not exactly sure, but i did get a tiny shock from the front there somewhere not a big shock just a tiny one, thought i had better mention that.

Hopefully i got most of the photographs, can easily take more if needed, so anyhow thanks a lot for your help
cheers
Attachments
IMG_0925.JPG
and this one is the back of that little metal piece that alternates between the play now/insert coin
IMG_0924.JPG
This the cable that must have something to do with those lights as if you unplugged this all lights would work except the play now/insert coin so i guess this cable could be the culprit also
IMG_0923.JPG
again the top panel above the lights the flip out panel
IMG_0922.JPG
this is the little metal piece that moves the lights between insert coin and play now, this might be a problem as it was very touchy
IMG_0921.JPG
this is the top of the lights the flip up panel
oliver4116

Postby mechanic » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:09 pm

Oliver OK fuses are all same size. I see the pic of the outside, need the inside where the bulbs are located. Onn the bottom of the socket should be 2 tabs each with a wire, be sure the tabs are not touching each other or the door frame. Usually they are opposite each other. Get a VOM meter set to Ohms and test the tabs without power or bulbs. If you touch the tabs with the leads and it goes to 0 the problem is in the socket. If the meter does nothing the socket is OK. If tabs are ok and socket tests ok the problem now is in the wiring or the transformer.
mechanic

Postby oliver4116 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:42 am

Okay great thanks i am on to it, might be a couple of days but will get back to you soon, we are having a historic heat wave over here right now, 39, 40, 41, 42, 39 C, its pretty nasty but will get on to it, will let you know how it all goes

cheers
oliver4116

Postby mechanic » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:52 pm

Its been running close to 15-20*C here for over a week. Not bad for this time of year. Have you had a chance to do any more checking? I will not be around the remainder of the year, family first. I will be back in Jan. Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!!!!!! TTYL JIM
mechanic

Postby oliver4116 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:14 pm

Have not even been able to get near that machine, so so hot, you have nice weather there it seems, anyhow have a good xmas and new year and thanks for all your help, by the time you get back from holidays i will have a bit more to tell you on here hopefully
cheers
oliver4116

PreviousNext

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions