Restoration Questions

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Restoration Questions

Postby drishoff » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:01 pm

What is the rule of thumb on restoration when repainting a mills slot machine. Stick with the original colors or paint it colors of my choice?
Recommendations on paint brands to use? Is 1/4" inch glass thick enough for the jackpot window replacement or should I stick with 3/8" ?
Any slots that are better off left original and not restored? Thanks
drishoff

Re: Restoration Questions

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:52 pm

As has been mentioned numerous times in this Forum, the 'rule-of-thumb' for any machine, is to keep it as Original as possible.
In the long run, most machines hold a higher value, when left untouched, with maybe a little cleanup, if need be. But, there
are many machines that fall into the "too-far-gone" category, and need to be restored. When restoring, you should always make
it a point to do it in the original color scheme that can usually be seen on the castings, unless someone has repainted it incorrectly
in the past. There is one other thing to realize. Many manufacturers used more then one color scheme on some models. So if you
are unable to determine the original colors, then paint it whichever original colors you like best.
As for paint brands, I have used several over the years, but I personally like "One Shot" Sign-Painters brand. They have several
colors that match original machine colors very close, if not 'dead-on'.
When it comes to any glass replacement, use whatever the machine had originally. If you use a thinner glass, many times it will
be loose in the glass clamps, and rattle. It wouldn't rattle as much in a full jackpot, because of the coins pushing on the glass.
If you are a true collector, you will want to stay with ORIGINALITY. If you are not, then what can I say?
SLOT DYNASTY

Re: Restoration Questions

Postby drishoff » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:12 pm

Thanks for the reply. I totally agree with staying original. Any recommendation for the bases that are a gloss black? Water or oil based or? Same question for the gold bases machines? And some of the gold based machines have gold sides. Are all the bases and sides the same gold color? Anyone know specific paint colors for the gold, green and burgundy on a high top bonus with the burgundy having the shadowy two tone look? Appreciate the expert knowledge...
drishoff

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions