Vest pocket paint Question

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Vest pocket paint Question

Postby pj waelti » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:21 am

Can anyone recommend the proper paint to use on a vest pocket? Mine was repainted with metalic paint at some point,it looks good but not original. I thought these were hammertone finish to begin with. Any suggestions? Thanks for looking. PJ
pj waelti

Re: Vest pocket paint Question

Postby sam2002 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:21 am

Hello
I am in California and for some reason you can not buy hammertone in blue though it is available through amazon . I would recommend hammertone blue and hammertone gold . The gold hammertone should be available at your local retailer .
Some of the VP's were a dark green .
With the EPA paints can be difficult .
Tough to find consistency as it seems every year they have new formulas that the paint manufactures must adhere to .
sam2002

Postby pj waelti » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:48 pm

Thanks for the input and help..PJ
pj waelti

Postby sam2002 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:10 pm

Here is a pic of a one center I recently painted
Attachments
image.jpg
sam2002

Postby pj waelti » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:03 pm

That looks good. Do you remember the colors?
pj waelti

Postby pj waelti » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:05 pm

That looks good. Do you remember the colors?
pj waelti

Postby sam2002 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:48 pm

Here are the 2 colors . I found the blue through amazon
Attachments
image.jpg
sam2002

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:43 am

Hi ALL:
The problem with all the Hammertone brands, is that they have been constantly changing over the past ten or so years.
I had always used Illinois Bronze, in both Hammer & Wrinkle, for many years. Then when all of this environmental Crap
started, we could no longer get it in California. I did send away for some. Then Rust-oleum started making many of the
Hammer colors, which was now a water-base, and not as good as the older oil-base type. I have had some problems with
the coats texturing properly, with certain colors. Then all of a sudden, some of the colors were not available any longer.
Last year I had a problem with the dark blue on a customer job, and needed more, but couldn't get it. I called Rust-oleum
direct, and they told me that it had been discontinued, and all that was left, is whatever was on the store shelves. They
also told me that the light blue has been discontinued, but still had a small amount of remaining stock. It was a shocker,
because the job I was working on was with the dark & light blue. I had to switch over to the Hammerite brand of dark blue,
which I never used in the past, because the hammer texture was not as pronounced as the other brands, but I was totally
surprised, as they must have changed their formula, because it was now better than in the past. I never ordered Hammer
or Wrinkle rattle-cans by the case, because neither has a very long shelf-life, like the standard colors do, and I wasn't
doing that many jobs with them at the time. Although, I have had pretty good luck with my stock lasting very long. Maybe
due to the way I store them? Hopefully these companies will continue with what we can still get, and stop discontinuing
colors, and changing formulas for the worst.
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions