Mills High top back removal (no key)

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Re: Mills High top back removal (no key)

Postby Ronniea2 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:59 pm

This is going to sound crazy but I saw a guy in New Jersey take a mills key and insert it in a lock with a missing key. He had a small hammer and he slowly inserted the key tapping it with the hammer as it went into the lock. He did this several times and eventually he was able to open the lock with the key. He said that he basically re-keyed the mills lock. I am going to look on line to see if he is still around. I will get back to you. Maybe you can call him and he can walk you through it.
Ronniea2

Postby Ronniea2 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:10 pm

I checked some of my slots. I found a key fob. His name was Bob Levy known as the unique one. I found out that he died in 2011. Over the years I purchased several slots from Bob. He was amazing with a slot. I didn't know he had passed. It was fun to go to his place in New Jersey. I learned a lot from him. The last time I saw him was in 2009. Sorry. I thought I could help.
Ronniea2

Postby Cadence4448 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:07 am

Had the very same problem. No key, jammed machine. Tried many options, but drilling out the lock seemed to be best, with least damage. Ordered a replacement lock and received it prior to drilling. Took a while to drill it out with a special metal drill bit from Lowes. Brass flecks flew everywhere. Once the center was drilled, needed to use a steel pick to knock out the moving parts in the bottom of the lock. Then it all came out, no damage, other than the lock. Vacuumed out the filings that had fallen inside the machine, and then unjammed the machine.
Cadence4448

Previous

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions