Mills Horsehead BONUS problem

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Mills Horsehead BONUS problem

Postby Ronniea2 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:54 am

I have a .25 Mills Horsehead BONUS machine that has always worked perfectly. Over the holidays the BONUS feature paid out one time and did not cycle anymore of the letters. Last night I tinkered with it and it worked one more time then nothing else. Is there an adjustment or something I can clean or oil? I use to be pretty knowledgeable about these things but I have gotten away from that. Someone please help. Thanks. Ron.
Ronniea2

Re: Mills Horsehead BONUS problem

Postby oldslotman » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:53 pm

It appears that the machine is not resetting the bonus feature after the payout. May need a little lube or maybe a weak spring. Most likely a weak spring.
oldslotman

Postby Ronniea2 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:12 pm

Which spring should I be looking for? Thanks for your reply.
Ronniea2

Postby oldslotman » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:26 pm

If you look at the back of the mech there should be a spring just below the bonus letters the goes sideways, horizontal between two levers. It maybe that spring. I do have a bonus hightop but the horsehead bonus mech is slightly different so I not sure what you have in the way of springs.
oldslotman

Postby Ronniea2 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:35 pm

Thanks. I will give it a look when I get home this evenining. Thanks so much for your post.
Ronniea2

Postby TheFatman » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:23 pm

When you achieve the BONUS payout, does it reset the letter tabs? If so, does it flip the B tag when it is hit the next time? Lubrication is the key to most of the feature, and not a lithium grease, but a #1 sewing machine oil would be better. Possibly a neatsfoot oil, really a #1 oil might be best.. Dont try to bend or manipulate any of the arms. Since it triggers sometimes, lets me feel it is a lube issue. There is possibly also a sync issue too. Main thing is to get the letters to flip when a letter is shown on the reel. If you lube the key points and get it to advance letters, you can manually advance the letters to sync with the machine so when the S letter is hit, it pays off then. I honestly feel you dont need to try to bend or adjust anything, this can cause so many issues, but take your time and lube and manually trigger the Bonus unit to advance to make sure all is moving smoothly. That will tell you that the arms are working well and no bending is needed. I have an old half top 25 cent model, and am thinking you have a High Top model, but the mech, as far as my knowledge goes, is going to be the same. If it aint Broke ... Dont fix it. Also if the is an excessive amount of dried up lube on the unit, Mineral Spirits will really break down the old dried up grease. But this will leave it without any critical lube where it needs to be. So if you use it, be sure to re-lube the components with the correct type of lube. I use on most of my moving arms that are of a heavy nature, Lubriplate. And I feel it is the best I have found, and I use the food quality one. I might not be 100% on this , but hope I get you started. There is a good deal more folks that have more time invested in this type of repairs than I do... so you cant be in a better place.
Dave F
TheFatman

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions