I got in my Mills High top

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

I got in my Mills High top

Postby par4n1 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:27 pm

After deliberating I decided to drill out the 2 top rivets closest to the back and punch the carriage bolts into the machine. That allowed the needed play to slightly pry the back up and outwards, allowing the bonnet to release and removal of both. I took a few pics of the process and that now begs a few questions.

In one picture you can see rust and a bare wire. I feel sure a battery discharged acid. Perhapse a battery that opened a solenoid that rang a bell and opened the center door for the jackpot payout?

I also have my mills lock out and the serial # pressed into it. Will I now be able to have a key cut based on the lock number?

I was able to clean all glass and I found close to a 100 nickels most in the 50ies but a few from 1949 and the main tube is full of coins but I dont know how to get into that just yet.

Thanks everyone for the guidance.
Attachments
slot8.png
slot17.png
slot16.png
slot15.png
slot14.png
slot13.png
slot11.png
slot12.png
par4n1

Re: I got in my Mills High top

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:31 am

par4n1 wrote:After deliberating I decided to drill out the 2 top rivets closest to the back and punch the carriage bolts into the machine. That allowed the needed play to slightly pry the back up and outwards, allowing the bonnet to release and removal of both. I took a few pics of the process and that now begs a few questions.

In one picture you can see rust and a bare wire. I feel sure a battery discharged acid. Perhapse a battery that opened a solenoid that rang a bell and opened the center door for the jackpot payout?

I also have my mills lock out and the serial # pressed into it. Will I now be able to have a key cut based on the lock number?

I was able to clean all glass and I found close to a 100 nickels most in the 50ies but a few from 1949 and the main tube is full of coins but I dont know how to get into that just yet.

Thanks everyone for the guidance.

Congrats Par4. Job well done, and without 'nerry-a-scratch'.
I have made a note of your lock number, and will check my key stock when I get to the shop.
If you want to clear your coin tube, the easiest way is to remove the tube assembly, and dump
them out, or the slow process of triggering the mech., stop the clock, and set it on a high pay,
until the tube & slides are empty.
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby par4n1 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:58 pm

Thanks for the help Bill. I will keep my fingers crossed and Its good to know I can ship my look off to get it re keyed if nessassary. Now off to see what nickes leerk inside the tube.
par4n1

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:38 am

par4n1 wrote:Thanks for the help Bill. I will keep my fingers crossed and Its good to know I can ship my look off to get it re keyed if nessassary. Now off to see what nickes leerk inside the tube.

Par4:
Sad news for the time being. The batch of keys I went through so far, were mostly all in the 20,000 to 30,000 range,
but none had a letter in front, with a few in the 50,000 series, of which a couple had a letter 'H'. Did not find any as
high as your number range. I have another box with more, but couldn't locate it as yet. Will let you know.
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby par4n1 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:16 pm

Par4:
Sad news for the time being. The batch of keys I went through so far, were mostly all in the 20,000 to 30,000 range,
but none had a letter in front, with a few in the 50,000 series, of which a couple had a letter 'H'. Did not find any as
high as your number range. I have another box with more, but couldn't locate it as yet. Will let you know.
Bill[/quote]

Well thank you for your search. Thats mighty kind of you.
Marc
par4n1

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:27 am

OK Par4:
Here is my second bit of sad news, in my search through another 200+ Mills keys. This batch was mostly all lower 4 digit numbers with letters.
Most were from 2,000 series, up to H9968. Some low numbers I found, were M28, S0067, U0205, and H0327. There were only a half dozen in
the 50,000 range, and a couple over yours, at 68,000 & 69,000. I am sure that there are a few more somewhere, but where that is, I have no
idea at this time. So, I guess your next trip, is to have your lock re-keyed. At least you got it out safely, without having to drill it. You must
realize that the tens of thousands of key numbers that Mills had, plus every letter of the alphabet, there would be a 'Snow-Balls' chance that
I might have it, but I tried anyway. I still have to go through all those keys again someday, as I should have put them in numerical order long
ago, to make my search much easier. Next time - Ha! :lol:
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby par4n1 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:40 am

Bill I cant thank you enough for taking the time to help me. I have gotten information from a member who can rekey my lock. I will contact him and hopefully ship it out. I look forward to the day I can button this baby up and throw some nickles in it,
Thanks again for the effort
Marc
par4n1

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions