Reel strip coatings?

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Reel strip coatings?

Postby pj waelti » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:07 am

Can anyone tell me what coatings if any were used on paper reel strips? I've noticed on some of my machines the strips look like they have shellac or varnish on them? They have a shiny coating of some sort on the paper strips. These are not the tin lithographed strips. Thanks, PJ
pj waelti

Re: Reel strip coatings?

Postby watlingboy » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:55 am

I doubt if anyone one knows the answer to that. The strips were printed on coated stock. Some may have darkened over the years but they were not coated at a later date although some people may have tried. Not all manufactures coated their strips making them harder to clean. Pace, Caille Superior, early Jennings were not coated and are raw paper. Post war Watling paper strips, Mills and all Jennings Sun Chief and others came with a plastic coating on the strips.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby pj waelti » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:52 am

Thanks for the answer. I noticed they were checking like they had a clear on them. PJ
pj waelti

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:58 am

Many of my early printing jobs, were done in one of two processes. With the first jobs, I laid out several sets of strips, and cards, on a large sheet.
Once the printing was done, the sheets were sent to another shop to be clear-coated, (in satin, not glossy). After the coating, the sheets were sent
back to the printer, to be cut. Some of my later jobs were printed on a gloss-coated stock, more like the original factory printing was done. But like
mentioned above, not all factory printing processes were the same, and depending on the type of paper used at the time, they do not all react the
same, in the way of yellowing from age. Some factory printing jobs, were not all that great either. I have seen many original examples that were so
far out-of-register, that it made me wonder why they even installed them.
SLOT DYNASTY

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions