Pays out on every spin

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Pays out on every spin

Postby Mchandler » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:19 pm

Hello,
I am new to the coin op hobby and this forum so excuse me if I sound ignorant to how these things work. I recently purchased what is said to be a lions head slot machine. Im not sure how to tell if this is a reproduction or not. If you can let me know how, I can check. When I purchased the machine it was working fine. But when I got it home it started paying out 1 coin on every spin. Any info on what could be causing this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Mchandler

Re: Pays out on every spin

Postby flipper77 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:41 pm

You need to post a picture of the front of machine and a picture of the mechanism - we can easily identify whether authentic or reproduction. Did you ask the seller when you purchased the machine? A single coin payout on every play sounds like the payout slides are frozen and coin is simply falling through. Again a picture of the front of the mechanism would help.

Flip
flipper77

Postby Mchandler » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:54 pm

Inside rear of machine
Attachments
1451868808790-1249827899.jpg
Mchandler

Postby Mchandler » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:55 pm

Front of machine
Attachments
14518688969241786117580.jpg
Mchandler

Postby Mchandler » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:00 pm

Flip,
I purchased at auction so I could not ask the seller. Auctioneer didn't know much about it. When I got into the machine I found a spring sitting in the bottom of it. And one missing in the machine. I put this spring where I have the screw driver pointing in the picture and it stopped paying all the time. I guess that is what it was. Does that sound right. It is still paying out when it isn't suppose to sometimes but not as often.
Mchandler

Postby TheFatman » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:39 pm

The top circle show the spring activated levers that will be pulled into holes on the disks to the right of them when the symbols in the front window line up. That is when the corresponding arm goes thru the wheel.

The next circle shows the lower part of those same levers, and when it goes thru the holes in the disks above, the bottom of them push over the slide release levers below them and to the left.

The bottom circle is the slide release levers and when an arm moves it over, because it when thru the disk at the top, it will move away from the slide that holds the coins. Allowing it to slide forward and carry the correct amount of coins and dump them out to the payout cup in front. The slides aree piled up and are different sizes to hold different amounts of coins. DO NOT LUBRICATE them …. Any lube will attract dirt and dust and can cause them to not work correctly.
LION slot.png
TheFatman

Postby flipper77 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:03 am

Congratulations as this appears to be a nice Mills original. The single jackpot model is less common that the double jackpot version. Now the "payout" problem could be caused by a variety of minor issues. Dave has explained the payout function - the payout slides are pushed forward with each play (filled with coins and armed). Then depending on the symbols lined up on the three reels, a corresponding one or more slides snap back allowing the coins to drop in the payout cup. So first check is to play the machine and observe whether the slides are pushed forward when played and whether the slides snap back when play is complete. The one coin payout problem (if this coin is falling from the slides) sounds like like your slides aren't setting properly - that your coin tube is empty and the last played coin is falling through. Again simple issue to diagnose and fix - if you understand the basic operation. Where are you located? Maybe a member is close and can assist.

Flip
flipper77

Postby Mchandler » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:58 pm

Thefatman,
Thanks for the info the picture helped me when figuring out the problem and with what these parts were called.

Flip,
Thank you for all your help with this. You were exactly right on the problem. When a 2 coin payout is hit it strikes the bottom slide release. After this the slide release is not returning to its place. The tube was empty causing it to only pay one coin instead of the 2.

What brings the slide release back into place. Is it only the spring at the rear? What can I do to fix this?

Thanks for all your help. Your making i easy to understand these things. They are intimidating when you take the back panel off for the first time.

I am from Chesterfield, VA about 15 miles west of Richmond ,Va. Anyone around this way.
Mchandler

Postby flipper77 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:46 am

Good progress. The horizontal springs at the bottom are key to the slide release levers operation. Play the machine and immediately stop the clock and place an object to hold the clock fan . Manually move each of the slide release levers side to side especially the bottom 2 pay. You want to make sure that the slides are being pushed far enough forward that the slide release levers swing back and forth easily. And make sure that the springs are pulling the slide release levers properly back behind the slides. If OK, release the clock and allow cycle to complete. If the bottom 2 pay slide pulls back and pays, then either the slide release lever is bent up and not stopping the slide. Or your top lever that snaps back against the payout disc to sense a winning symbol result is bent and tapping the bottom release lever. You should be able to visually see why the payout slide is not stopping when it should. Good luck!

Flip
flipper77

Postby Mchandler » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:02 pm

Got it. The guide that the slide released levers go through is broken. Causing it to sit on top of the 2 coin slide which is causing friction and not allowing it to return. Thanks for the help. I can weld it together and that will fix this problem. Now to getting the jp to work. I'll let you know what questions I have on that. That's a foreign to me as this was when I started.

By the way does anyone know the value of a machine like this. I have no plans on selling it, I would just like to know. Also, should I restore this or leave it like it is? I would like to make it look new again. I picked up paint today but I'm not sure if it will ruin the value.

Thanks again for all yall help.
Attachments
1452030675903-2036151147.jpg
Mchandler

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions