Aristocrat Elec Probs

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Aristocrat Elec Probs

Postby oliver4116 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:38 pm

Hi Jim thanks again for the info about testing the socket i am on to it, I am glad that you mentioned the bulbs as i was thinking about that the other day, the prob with the bulbs is i have no idea where to get them probably on Ebay but i dont know what to search for on there and knowing me i would order the wrong ones, so i am hoping that you may know where to get them.

With the testing i thought i was doing it wrong so i am going to have another go today, again many thanks and will post the results soon if they come up with a error again i might have to post a short video to see what i am testing, lol i make a terrible electrician

cheers
oliver4116

Re: Aristocrat Elec Probs

Postby oliver4116 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:13 pm

hmm well testing it again was interesting. I tested it like you said this time, one lead to the metal piece in the socket (the one the bulb sits on) and one on the tab outside the socket. Well there were readings for 1, 2, and 4 The number 3 there was no reading for and i did it many times to make sure and exactly the same as i tested the rest.

So i dont know where to go from here, i may get an Electrician to test the sockets to make doubly sure, it does seem weird to me that 3 had readings and 1 didnt, still i wont do anything more till i hear from you. Is it worth getting 4 new bulbs first before doing anything else? God knows where to find them i can take a picture of the bulbs maybe someone can help out as to where to get them from

anyhow
cheers n talk soon
oliver4116

Postby mechanic » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:53 pm

Oliver OK You got readings on 3 of 4 sockets. No zero !!! That may be the 3 are good. Before going further lets do the bulbs. There should be a part number either on the glass or the metal base. You may need a magnifier. Let me know what the number is . TTYL Jim
mechanic

Postby oliver4116 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:26 am

Hi Jim i didnt want to give you the wrong information, so i went back and tested them again paying attention to what the meter said.

I Guess as you know the multimeter on that setting always displays a 1
with socket 1 it fluctuates between numbers and then settles on 05.5
with socket 2 it fluctuates then goes back to the number 1
with socket 3 it does not move from the number 1 does not fluctuate at all
with socket 4 it fluctuates then goes to 0.00

just thought i had better explain a bit better than i did before

with the bulb the only writing on it is

24V 3W ALBA

cheers talk soon

With the globe here is a pic
Attachments
IMG_1010.JPG
oliver4116

Postby mechanic » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:41 pm

Oliver looks like #4 is the problem child. I checked into the bulbs, they are a type of recreational vehicle bulbs. T2 - 24V - 3W BA7S Base. These are readily available here. If you cannot locate any let me know. They cost approx. $1.69 @. Check to be sure the wires on #4 are not touching some how. If they are seperate them, best is 180 degrees or opposite each other. Take another reading from the VOM if it does not read zero the short may be fixed. No further testing till you get new bulbs. There's a lot more to do if the bulbs don't get it going. A very tedious process of elimination !!! Also Congrats you have been very a very good apprentice. LOL !! TTYL Jim
mechanic

Postby oliver4116 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:11 am

Hi Jim thanks a lot for the info on the bulbs, lucky you mentioned they were vehicle ones so i just shot around the corner to an auto shop and that number you gave me is in their catalog, so they are going to order them for me be a few days so it was good news, a pack of 10 for 20.00 Aust so i was pretty happy with that

Tommorow i will have a good look at socket 4, i may take a close up photo if nothing stands out to me as you may notice something that i missed

I dont mind long and tedious with this machine, lol it has just turned into a hobby now, and it wasnt long ago that i could not move the arm so heaps of progress

Thanks for the Apprentice congrats, i do try, lol

Oh one thing i wanted to ask you there was 2 globes that were in the machine that are now out, how can i test them to see if their blown, will the multimeter do that as they are very hard to see inside the glass

cheers and chat soon
oliver4116

Postby mechanic » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:44 pm

Oliver You can test the globes the same way, however it is opposite of what you have been doing. The reading should go to zero if the globes are good which means the filament is in tact. You would be surprised how many slot parts are auto or farm related. TTYL Jim
mechanic

Postby oliver4116 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:53 am

Hi Jim well the bulbs turned up and went and got them today, so i have a pack of 10 with me now, also the two globes from the machine tested okay with the multimeter which is a bit confusing as i thought one would be blown, unless the fuze blows first rather than the bulb (i dont know)

Anyhow well we have plenty of bulbs for what lies ahead

cheers
oliver4116

Postby mechanic » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:46 pm

Oliver Here's the way to remember good bulbs and shorts read zero. bad bulbs and normal wiring read 1 - 5 or combinations. OK now lets go to the next step on the ladder. Put the first three bulbs into the sockets and reattach them to the openings. Leave the #4 socket as is no bulb and do not reattach to the opening. Turn on the machine and see if it blows the fuse. If the fuse holds turn off the machine and add #4 socket with bulb and attach it to its opening. Turn on the machine again and if the fuse blows then we know for sure #4 is bad, If the fuse holds then it may have been either the wires were touching on the socket or it was a bad bulb. Should #4 be bad you will need to remove it again but you can leave the other 3 alone. Next will be testing #4 socket to its next point of contact. Do the other things first. TTYL Jim oops!!! if fused right the fuse blows before the bulbs.
mechanic

Postby oliver4116 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:28 am

Hi Jim, well this is very strange and actually i dont really know how to explain it

First off i did what you said and the fuse blew

Now this is weird i thought i would take a pic of the fuse that was blowing and i am not sure as this is the fuse that controls those lights (but it is the one that blows all the time) see pic and maybee i gave you the wrong info before and this fuse has nothing to do with the lights i am not sure (the problem fuse is fuse 5 per the photo)
IMG_1086.JPG

Now to make matters even more confusing, socket 2 lights up as per the photo but not the other sockets

and this is the best socket 2 lights up like the photo with fuse 5 removed not even there but not the other 3 sockets, so maybe we have been on the wrong track, i dont know. lol i am feeling rather dumb right now

Well i guess see what you think about it all, its kind of weird that socket 2 lights up but not the others and all sockets had bulbs in but socket 2 was the only one that lit up without a fuse, hmm no idea from me

Both the photo,s of socket 2 is with fuse 5 removed
Attachments
IMG_1088.JPG
IMG_1087.JPG
oliver4116

Next

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions