Mills Slot Machine Help Needed

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Mills Slot Machine Help Needed

Postby CessnaTPA » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:07 pm

I own an slot machine that belonged to my grandfather that has been in the family for 50+ years and i'm trying get it working again. I've seen videos on you tube on how to unjam it but that isn't the problem. When I pull the handle it doesn't spin, I think the problem is the payout levers are not releasing the wheels. If anyone could give me some advice on what might be the problem I would greatly appreciate it.
I did figure out a spring was missing on the clock and added one but know it's likely the wrong size. I've uploaded a few pics and a video and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction or tell me where I can find out. See YouTube link below
https://youtu.be/S0aD_jFFgIw
Attachments
IMG_20160109_193438484.jpg
IMG_20160109_193424366.jpg
IMG_20160109_193712743.jpg
CessnaTPA

Re: Mills Slot Machine Help Needed

Postby TheFatman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:41 pm

All I can see is this lever might be wrong, circled in red. Check the position and see if it advances the coin with starting the device or just move the coin thru the escalator. This lever should be down for normal operation. Up it just runs the coins thru.Press it down and try again. Looks to be clean and not gummed up. Let me know the progress.
Dave F.
Attachments
IMG_20160109_193424366.jpg
TheFatman

Postby terick2104 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:33 am

Where are you located? There is probably a COCA member in your area that could help you.
terick2104

Postby CessnaTPA » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:58 am

TheFatman wrote:All I can see is this lever might be wrong, circled in red. Check the position and see if it advances the coin with starting the device or just move the coin thru the escalator. This lever should be down for normal operation. Up it just runs the coins thru.Press it down and try again. Looks to be clean and not gummed up. Let me know the progress.
Dave F.

Thanks for the response.
I've cycled it on the table with that lever in the down position and still doesn't spin.
I'm thinking the lever in the attached pic marked in red isn't working properly. It's doesn't appear to have enough movement to release the wheels to spin. Should there be a spring attached to it?
If only I had a working mechanism to compare how it should work.
Does anyone have a repair manual online or have a link where I can get one? I'm determined to learn how this slot works. It's amazing the engineering that went into this design.
Attachments
IMG_20160110_073854.jpg
CessnaTPA

Postby CessnaTPA » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:00 am

terick2104 wrote:Where are you located? There is probably a COCA member in your area that could help you.

I live in Riverview near Tampa, Florida.
CessnaTPA

Postby TheFatman » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:53 am

Please take more picture of both sides and the front. Does the handle pull thru? Does the clock spin all the way. There is a clock stop arm that can stop the clock when the mech is out of the cabinet. Usually it has been removed. But still then, if you fire the mach outside of the cabinet, the reels should spin and the clock not run unless you hold it from the from, releasing the fan blade. More pictures will be best to see what we can see.
Dave F
TheFatman

Postby CessnaTPA » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:04 pm

TheFatman wrote:Please take more picture of both sides and the front. Does the handle pull thru? Does the clock spin all the way. There is a clock stop arm that can stop the clock when the mech is out of the cabinet. Usually it has been removed. But still then, if you fire the mach outside of the cabinet, the reels should spin and the clock not run unless you hold it from the from, releasing the fan blade. More pictures will be best to see what we can see.
Dave F

The handle does pull like normal and the clock appears to be working like it should. The payout fingers are not retracting preventing the wheels to spin.
Here are a few more pics.
Attachments
IMG_20160109_193454205.jpg
IMG_20160109_193432385.jpg
IMG_20160109_193504007.jpg
IMG_20160109_193529892.jpg
IMG_20160109_193548123.jpg
IMG_20160109_193621518.jpg
IMG_20160109_211738615.jpg
CessnaTPA

Postby TheFatman » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:36 pm

Without being there in person, If I have a machine that doesnt seem to reset all the way, I will do the following.
slot repair pic2.jpg

Loosen the square locking bolt (red) just enough to let the lever (yellow) be able to slide. Then OI would slide it forward toward the front and tighten the bolt. This will lift the main shaft a little further. If you go too far, it will lock up and you have to apply pressure to the operation arm just enough to release the little cam on the side which locks into the little ratchet teeth. It will then be able to be released and go back to the start position. If that happens, you have to back that lever out a little. Take note on how much is sticking out the back so you can adjust the lever a little at a time. I know its a lot to throw at you at once, but the best lessons I have learned is by getting my hands dirty.
Dave F
TheFatman

Postby CessnaTPA » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:21 pm

TheFatman wrote:Without being there in person, If I have a machine that doesnt seem to reset all the way, I will do the following.
slot repair pic2.jpg

Loosen the square locking bolt (red) just enough to let the lever (yellow) be able to slide. Then OI would slide it forward toward the front and tighten the bolt. This will lift the main shaft a little further. If you go too far, it will lock up and you have to apply pressure to the operation arm just enough to release the little cam on the side which locks into the little ratchet teeth. It will then be able to be released and go back to the start position. If that happens, you have to back that lever out a little. Take note on how much is sticking out the back so you can adjust the lever a little at a time. I know its a lot to throw at you at once, but the best lessons I have learned is by getting my hands dirty.
Dave F

I just finished watching an in depth video from slot machine depot that has showed me how this machine functions. I'm going to try a few things tomorrow and if that fails I'll do what you have suggested and report back the results. Thanks for the help.
CessnaTPA

Postby CessnaTPA » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:24 pm

Good news it's working! Turned out the replacement clock spring I used was too weak for it to work properly. #-o
CessnaTPA

Next

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions