mills escalator the same as sega?

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

mills escalator the same as sega?

Postby pj waelti » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:46 am

I recently aquired a a Sega slot. It has a roll down type escalator in it that I have not seen before, It works quite well,but the coins don't roll by the escalator window on the front. When you look through the front window all you see is the back of the escalator no coins. I tried a mills escalator out of one of my machines and it fit, but the coin detector lever and the coin advance lever do not line up. The mills escalator does line the coins up with the window so I think this type was what was used originally. Any thoughts? I attached a couple pics of the machine and the escalator. Thanks PJ
Attachments
sega 2016.JPG
sega 2016.JPG (30.62 KiB) Viewed 5932 times
sega 2016 2.JPG
sega 2016 2.JPG (38.19 KiB) Viewed 5932 times
pj waelti

Re: mills escalator the same as sega?

Postby radiorich123 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:27 am

My saga 10 cent slot is not the same as yours. See the photos.
Attachments
MVC-008F.JPG
MVC-001F.JPG
REPAIRS ANTIQUE RADIOS AND COIN OPERATED MACHINES EMAIL
radiorich123@yahoo.com
WEB SIGHT www.technician.50megs.com
radiorich123

Postby pj waelti » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:28 am

The machine is very similar. One thing I see is the long arm that pulls down on the escalator and advances the coin is adjustable. That most likely allows the adjustment for that type of mills escalator, which I believe is what need if I convert to the mills style escalator. Mine works good but it bugs me not seeing the coins in the escalator. I'm not a perfectionist but do like things correct. Anybody have a mills 10 cent escalator and adjustable pull down arm the want to part with? Thanks PJ
pj waelti

Postby mechanic » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:52 pm

PJ The early Segas took a Mills style escalator but it was stamped with Segas part numbers, later when redesigned to the continental and other similar models it took the Morris Shefras style escalator. If you find a Mills style in the later model cabinets its probably been replaced at some point.
mechanic

Postby pj waelti » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:43 am

thanks for the info. I found a mills style escalator and will be replacing this one. I prefer to see the coins walk across the window on the front of the machine. It does look like I will have to modify the coin pull down bar though.. PJ
pj waelti

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:58 pm

PJ:
You may want to check all of your payout combinations, as many of these Japan-built Sega models
were coined for 6pence, and new owners will re-badge them to 10c, without changing the slide stack.
The 6pence, 10c, and even 1c, will all play the machine, but the payouts, (especially on the high end),
will be off. Strange that you have a roll-off escalator in yours, as they usually didn't install them on
the offshore models that I remember. But could have been done by an operator, at a later date.
I bought many of these Foreign-coined Sega Bells, and Jennings machines, in the 1980's, that a local
antique furniture dealer was having shipped to the states, in his container-loads of furniture. I would
do a complete tune-up on the mechanisms, and re-coin them with U.S. slide sets & escalators. Then
clean up the cosmetics of the case, before sale. These are well-built models, and most always, operated
flawlessly. I still have a large box of Foreign slides, that will make a nice 'boat anchor' for someone. Or
even stack them, to use the smaller coin sets, as lowering-block kits for your Mini Cooper, and the larger
coin sets for your Shoe-Box Fords, etc! :lol: Gee, maybe I'll start up a new category on eBay? Like we
don't have enough already!
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:09 pm

Whoops!
Just realized that my comment in the post above, mentions your roll-off escalator, which I just noticed,
is not the standard style, which usually shows at least two coins in the window. I am not sure who made
the style that is in yours. It is completely different, and doesn't bring the coins even near the window.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby pj waelti » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:38 am

morris shefras was the maker of the escalator. Mechanic is correct. It works good but it bypasses the front viewing window.. I want to see the coins move.
pj waelti

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:46 pm

pj waelti wrote:morris shefras was the maker of the escalator. Mechanic is correct. It works good but it bypasses the front viewing window.. I want to see the coins move.

I agree. You should have the vision of the coins moving. I would dixie that Shefras contraption,
and install a standard Mills escalator, so you can then view all the action. :D
SLOT DYNASTY

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions