New Bonus Project

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

New Bonus Project

Postby oldslotman » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:45 pm

bonus-hightop-2.jpg
Mills high top Bonus project to begin soon.
oldslotman

Re: New Bonus Project

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:18 am

Now that's what I call ORIGINAL! But that color looks like it may have come from the Wonka Factory.
This project will make for some really good 'before & after' shots. Good luck.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby oldslotman » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:00 am

SLOT DYNASTY wrote:Now that's what I call ORIGINAL! But that color looks like it may have come from the Wonka Factory.
This project will make for some really good 'before & after' shots. Good luck.

You can see where someone has already done some painting on it. A lot of sloppy brush marks. Really not a big fan of Mills selection of colors on these machines. May have to take some liberty on the colors as I have done before. [-X
oldslotman

Postby rtmccurdy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:28 am

Looks like the one from Nation's Attic---nice project machine! If you plan on recreating the burgundy hammer finish on the top casting please post your technique/process/paint brand. Also...what paint color/brand you use on the green area. Thanks in advance! Robert
rtmccurdy

Postby oldslotman » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:43 am

rtmccurdy wrote:Looks like the one from Nation's Attic---nice project machine! If you plan on recreating the burgundy hammer finish on the top casting please post your technique/process/paint brand. Also...what paint color/brand you use on the green area. Thanks in advance! Robert

That is the same machine. Bought it from Don. I don't think I'm even going to try and redo that paint scheme. To me it looks like something out the 1960's and 1970's with those colors, "flower power". I know a lot of you like to keep it close to the original colors but with this one it is tough. Even the original machines that are around today are a different color, due to age and fading, than they were from the factory. Like they say, they are only original once and this one is not original since someone has already done a repaint on it.
oldslotman

Postby TheFatman » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:14 pm

As far a my time on this planet ... I have seen quite a few of the high top bonus machines. These colors I have seen the majority of the time. It is my feeling that the paint on this machine is 100% original and with a little cleaning, it will look its age and be beautiful. Dont even consider stripping and repainting. To me and many others, to not redo or alter, is respect to the piece of art history that this machine is.
Dave F
TheFatman

Postby marsonion » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:27 pm

TheFatman wrote:As far a my time on this planet ... I have seen quite a few of the high top bonus machines. These colors I have seen the majority of the time. It is my feeling that the paint on this machine is 100% original and with a little cleaning, it will look its age and be beautiful. Dont even consider stripping and repainting. To me and many others, to not redo or alter, is respect to the piece of art history that this machine is.
Dave F

There are sloppy brush marks around the coin tray and elsewhere, as Oldslotman says. It looks to me as though this machine was house-painted-over at some point in colors resembling the original, but it's not the original factory paint.
marsonion

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:56 pm

oldslotman:
If this is any help, with your decision as to what color scheme to use on your restoration,
it is my pleasure. This photo is in my vast files, but I am not sure of the owner. This just
happens to be my favorite color scheme, of the original Mills "Bonus" examples.
Mills 10c 'Bonus' HighTop (orig)1b.jpg
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby TheFatman » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:37 pm

See the next message
Last edited by TheFatman on Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheFatman

Postby TheFatman » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:42 pm

Exccept the bright green handle .... and front part
Attachments
High top bonus.jpg
The actual colors I remember
High top bonus.jpg (9.22 KiB) Viewed 4785 times
TheFatman

Next

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions