New Bonus Project

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Re: New Bonus Project

Postby TheFatman » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:48 pm

I see a lot of age ,,,, in this case, restoring in the same color scheme would be appropriate if it doesn't brighten up first. If there are repaint strokes.... all the go ahead to strip and do it right. This machine, I have redone with powder coating and it looks like new. No brush strokes and done by a professional ... colors match 100%.
Dave F
TheFatman

Postby oldslotman » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:35 pm

TheFatman wrote:Exccept the bright green handle .... and front part

I've seen them both ways. Green handle and gold handle. This one appears to have had the gold handle.
oldslotman

Postby oldslotman » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:05 pm

You also see many different shades of the green color.
oldslotman

Postby oldslotman » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:59 am

IMG_0393.JPG
It don't look like the original scheme is going to happen. Too much trouble trying to find the right paint. May do it up like another machine that I have. Don't come down on me too hard. [-X
oldslotman

Postby TheFatman » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:06 pm

Very well done .... sometimes you find a machine that just warrants a total redo. Meaning repaint and rework the wood cabinet and mech. When that happens, I have always felt that it is up to the owner to do with it what they feel. Make the machine yours ... and those are the folks that when it comes time to sell, if it ever does, they will Never say "Original Paint and Condition" but can honestly say "Professionally Redone but not restored"
That is just my feeling and I sticking to it.
One again ...nice job.
OMG .... just remembered a Bonus High Top I worked only a little on not too long ago. They added black lights inside and went over the fruit symbols and painted on the BONUS letters in fluorescent paint. All I did was to get the mech running..... scratching my head on this one. All the outside was correct and original paint... would love to pick it up and do it right so it can sit next to my 25cent Horsehead Bonus machine.
Dave F
TheFatman

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:33 pm

oldslotman wrote:
IMG_0393.JPG
It don't look like the original scheme is going to happen. Too much trouble trying to find the right paint. May do it up like another machine that I have. Don't come down on me too hard. [-X

Perhaps it's a good thing, that you can't find the right shade of brown. It is not one of the most impressive color schemes
that Mills used. It even appears to me, that it may have been repainted at one time. What have you detected with the
stripping process so far? What all this boils down to, is paint it whatever colors please you, as it is far past the point of
saving as original. I am confident that you will not be using Candy-Apple colors! [-X
Regarding my "Bonus" color scheme pick above, I do like it better with the gold on the handle, rather than the green. It
does blend-in much better.

Most collectors are not purists, and do not care much about originality, as witnessed by what has sold on eBay, and live
auctions, on a regular basis. One example being the flood of FAKE "Golden Maggets" that clog-up the internet. You may
see one out of a hundred Fakes that are even painted the correct colors. They are done in every color of the rainbow, and
beyond, which is the number one clue, (other than the small pay cups), as to being a complete FAKE. I really feel especially
sorry, for all the newbies in our hobby, that have been snookered with Fakes, before they found out what they ended up
with. Some live auctions, have made a notation, as to some machines that are not original, but when it comes to eBay,
most of the listings are full of so much BS, as to how original it is, because it has been in their family since the 1980's.
Yeah-Right! :^o
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby oldslotman » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:21 pm

SLOT DYNASTY wrote:
oldslotman wrote:
The attachment IMG_0393.JPG is no longer available

Perhaps it's a good thing, that you can't find the right shade of brown. It is not one of the most impressive color schemes
that Mills used. It even appears to me, that it may have been repainted at one time. What have you detected with the
stripping process so far? What all this boils down to, is paint it whatever colors please you, as it is far past the point of
saving as original. I am confident that you will not be using Candy-Apple colors! [-X
Regarding my "Bonus" color scheme pick above, I do like it better with the gold on the handle, rather than the green. It
does blend-in much better.

Most collectors are not purists, and do not care much about originality, as witnessed by what has sold on eBay, and live
auctions, on a regular basis. One example being the flood of FAKE "Golden Maggets" that clog-up the internet. You may
see one out of a hundred Fakes that are even painted the correct colors. They are done in every color of the rainbow, and
beyond, which is the number one clue, (other than the small pay cups), as to being a complete FAKE. I really feel especially
sorry, for all the newbies in our hobby, that have been snookered with Fakes, before they found out what they ended up
with. Some live auctions, have made a notation, as to some machines that are not original, but when it comes to eBay,
most of the listings are full of so much BS, as to how original it is, because it has been in their family since the 1980's.
Yeah-Right! :^o

The only original paint on the castings is what can be found under the award card and other badges. It appears as though the top castings and sides have been painted over with a brown latex house paint using a brush. The green appears to be original but flaking off very easy. To be honest I don't I could any justice to it by trying to match the original colors.
Attachments
IMG_2053.JPG
oldslotman

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:06 pm

oldslotman wrote:
SLOT DYNASTY wrote:
oldslotman wrote:
IMG_0393.JPG

The only original paint on the castings is what can be found under the award card and other badges. It appears as though the top castings and sides have been painted over with a brown latex house paint using a brush. The green appears to be original but flaking off very easy. To be honest I don't I could any justice to it by trying to match the original colors.

Wow! Great news, and great find. I rest my case! :D
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby YourBestBet » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:48 pm

oldslotman wrote:
bonus-hightop-2.jpg
Mills high top Bonus project to begin soon.

=D>
YourBestBet

Postby oldslotman » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:56 pm

Project completed. Now have a silver and gold set.
IMG_2064.JPG
oldslotman

PreviousNext

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions