New Pickup in MD - 5 cent Rol A Top needs help

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

New Pickup in MD - 5 cent Rol A Top needs help

Postby Mendozaco » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:46 pm

I purchased a Roll A Top slot machine in Maryland two days ago. The mechanism is not cycling correctly and it has several issues.

The first issue was the escalator which it was not moving. After cleaning the parts next to the escalator and taking out all the gummed grease the escalator started working.

The second problem with the slot machine is the reels are not spinning. After a pull off the lever, the clock made a zip noise but the reels did not move. I took mechanism out and noticed that my clock was not working correctly and the fan did not move. The clock moved as fast as blender and the upper cylinder that connects to the fan did not make contact. The machine reset back without allowing the fan to work and the wheels to spin. The upper cylinder teeth are grinded out and they failed to connect to the fan. I need a new upper cylinder for the clock that will connect to my fan. Is there anything else I should be looking at? And do you know anyone who has a spare part/cylinder for this clock. Here are my pictures.

Need your help watlingboy.
Attachments
20160215_152140-1.jpg
20160215_152058-1.jpg
20160215_152140-1.jpg
Mendozaco

Re: New Pickup in MD - 5 cent Rol A Top needs help

Postby Mendozaco » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:35 pm

I was told by an experienced collector that the fiber gears inside the clock is usually the first thing that goes out and causes the machine not to function. The fiber gear is the weakest link in the clock made out of metal. The reason that this is made out of fiber I was told is to reduce the noise of the machine.

I contacted Dave from Mrslot1 and he has a replacement piece. A bit of luck in my case.

This is the first time I restore a Roll A Top slot machine and at first I was hesitant to start since I had never restore one before. My experience has always been with the Mills models. After taking it apart, I noticed that there's a lot of similarities between the two designs and the process of restoring it will not be as complicated as I thought at the beginning.

Here are pictures that you can see the fiber gears teeth stripped and no longer visible.
Attachments
20160217_210704.jpg
20160217_210615.jpg
Mendozaco

Re: New Pickup in MD - 5 cent Rol A Top needs help

Postby Richard13 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:36 pm

Post a couple photos of the case too and rest of mechanism. I just acquired a rol a top out of Maine and look forward to seeing yours completed!
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions