Jennings Operator Bell

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Jennings Operator Bell

Postby md171 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:43 am

Greetings. New to forum and slots. I have a Jennings Operator bell nickel machine that pays out well, but only upon the second pull. You can hear the coins fall for the payout, but they don't show up in the tray until another nickel is inserted and the handle pulled.

My machine has been worked on before as evidenced by the newer nuts and bolts here and there inside. Although the wooden front and back have been replaced also the rest appears original. It appears also that there's a bit larger spring on the 2 coin payout slide (First one at the bottom of the stack) that I thought may be pulling too quickly not allowing the coins to fall? My question is could that be the cause, is that payout system normal, or is there another adjustment needed underneath the mechanism? Forgive my description of what I saw inside but I do not know the terms for the mechanism pieces I am trying to identify. I can post pics if needed.

Thanks to all in advance. I've already read some great info from your discussions!
md171

Re: Jennings Operator Bell

Postby Frank » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:45 am

I think you have a "future pay" feature which works just as you describe. Take out the sliding plate just above the payout chute and you machine will be OK
Frank

Postby mechanic » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:43 pm

If you remove the slide on the deferred pay unit you will destroy the originality of the machine. This is a rare feature that most collectors wish they had on their machines. The machine should also have a small window that shows the number of coins you won. This too is a rare feature and if missing should be reinstalled.
mechanic

Postby md171 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:00 pm

Thanks for the info!! Knowing that it is indeed a "deferred pay" feature I will leave it alone. Nice to know it could be changed but I'd hate to take away an original feature.

There's no window except for a small one at the top right that shows your nickel traveling through a mechanism with each handle pull. There's also what appears to be a opening for a payout tray or something on the right (as you're facing it) side bottom. It's been covered with a brass plate. No mechanism inside to provide any hint of what it may have been for. Maybe a gumball payout at one time?

Thanks again for your patience and info!!
md171

Postby mechanic » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:35 pm

Can you post a few pics of the machine?
mechanic

Postby md171 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:00 pm

image.jpeg
Here's some pics
Attachments
image.jpeg
md171

Postby md171 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:16 pm

Here's the backside.
Attachments
image.jpeg
md171

Postby mechanic » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:44 pm

An early Operators bell, can't tell by the pics if the top is cast iron or aluminum. The plate below the handle was for a side vendor unit. lifesavers type candies. The back door is home made, as is the front wood cover. See if the vertical unit with the numbers is in the front? You will need to open the front and remove it to check.
mechanic

Postby md171 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:19 pm

The only numbers I could find is LB39 on the coin tube that goes to the bottom of the machine (not the jackpot pay tube) and LB6 on the top slide plate retainer. Anything involved with any candy payout is long gone it appears.
Attachments
image.jpeg
md171

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:41 pm

md171 wrote:The only numbers I could find is LB39 on the coin tube that goes to the bottom of the machine (not the jackpot pay tube) and LB6 on the top slide plate retainer. Anything involved with any candy payout is long gone it appears.

Those are not the numbers that 'mechanic' is referring to. You are missing the entire
future pay mechanism, that mounts in front of the reel bundle, and to the left of the
drop tube. It has a flat cast bar, with raised numbers, that correspond with the reel
symbol combination for payout. A single number will show in a small 1" window on the
lower front panel, which you don't have either. I don't have a pix of one in this computer,
or I would have shown you what it looks like.
SLOT DYNASTY

Next

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions