Mills Castle Front 25 cent machine - late 30's

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Re: Mills Castle Front 25 cent machine - late 30's

Postby altort » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:12 pm

Hi Tom

Not the check detection bar but the coin detection bar may need to be adjusted, if the machine is complete it should have two horizontal bars on the escalator and two vertical bars on the mech, the lower bar is for the coin detection and has a small screw that holds a pin that senses the coin and will allow the handle to be pulled down, if that is even a little bit out of adjustment you wont be able to pull the handle.

Try this before you go and make all bunch of adjustments, wile holding the bottom horizontal bar from going forwards with your fingers, pull the handle and see if the machine plays, if you can play the machine than just loosen the screw and adjust the pin out a little bit, small amounts at the time, the upper check detection bar is not needed for regular play.
altort

Postby mechanic » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:27 pm

Time for my 2 cents. Thats about what it's worth. Check the sub-base, on either side is a small block. The mech locks into the inside of the block then the hold downs keep it from lifting when played. If the blocks are worn down then the mech can move slightly, enough to cause the problem you are having. You may need a bead of weld on the blocks and square them off carefully again with a dremel tool. Also check the mechs notch on either side as they too can be worn down.
mechanic

Postby TJM_70 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:57 am

Mechanic...that is exactly what is happening; I can move the mech forward enough to play but without a shim / wedge of some kind (I can't devise one that will stay in place or I'd consider shim as a possible solution) it slides forward ever so slightly and won't play.

I'm going to work on it a bit more today.

Tom
TJM_70

Postby TJM_70 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:42 am

Victory!

Adjusting the coin detector rod was the correct advice. I adjusted it by about 1/16" of an inch and have a great working machine.

I would like to thank each of you who shared your help and knowledge with me. I hope I come across one of these sometime for myself as it was very enjoyable to work on and a ton of fun to play.

Highest jackpot I hit was 3 bells...how often do these hit 3 bars? I probably put $50 or $60 through it.

Thanks again,
Tom
TJM_70

Previous

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions